“Guangzhou to Tianjin”
Review of China Southern Airlines

Reviewed 2 November 2018 via mobile

Security at the domestic terminal was very strict. We were swabbed for explosives 3 times at 3 different checkpoints. Make sure you aren't carrying water or cigarette lighters, as these will be confiscated. Terminal is so big we had to make use of the Enquiry desk (the girls speak English) to get directions to our gate. Plane was exceptionally clean and left on time, even arriving into Tianjin early. Would recommend China Southern Airlines.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
2  Thank Kanga_2013
Write a reviewReviews (4,927)

Reviewed 2 November 2018 via mobile

Honestly, I had very low expectations given my experience with the US airline industry - I assumed it will be worse. This flight was a direct flight from Beijing (PEK) to Zhangjiajie (DYG) with one stop at Changsha Huanghua (CSX) airport.

SHORT VERSION: China Southern has a new raving fan, me.

LONG VERSION:

TICKET BOOKING & PURCHASE: I purchased a one way ticket online using the mobile app. Everything was clear, easy to follow and the app is user friendly. If you want to pay for the ticket using an international credit card, you need to register and create an account.

CHECK-IN & BOARDING: I checked-in online using the app and got a mobile boarding pass. Boarding was efficient and quick.

THE FLIGHT: The flight departed on time. The aircraft was spotless and did not squeak or rattle at all even during turbulence. As a nervous flyer I find this comforting. The flight attendants were efficient and provided great customer service. Even on a 2-hour flight we were served a hot meal, and it was great. The stop in CSX lasted an hour, where we had to deplane and re-board. Reboarding at CSX was as efficient as in PEK and the flight departed on time as well.

Finally, I hope this experience represents the China Southern’s product and service and not an isolated experience. It is breath of fresh air when I come across an airline that tries hard to treat customers with dignity and respect.

2  Thank WorldTravelWithMiles
Reviewed 2 November 2018 via mobile

Check in at airport was as you would expect at Brisbane. Staff were very strict with bag weights. People were being asked to repack their suitcases if they weighed more than the allowed 23kgs per suitcase for economy passengers. Carry on bags had a limit of 7kgs only. We were staying overnight in Guangzhou, travelling to Tianjin the following morning, so our luggage was checked all the way through to Tianjin. If you have such an overnight stopover, make sure you pack yourself an overnight bag as part of your carry on. No real need to pack toiletries as the hotels provided by the airline actually provides more than enough (toothbrushes, toothpaste, razor, shaving cream, hair combs, shampoo, bath gel etc). The plane we flew on to Guangzhou was really clean. Cannot fault the cabin crew. The service was absolutely fantastic. Lots of drinks provided throughout the flight, however, the food was about what you would expect in economy class. On board entertainment is somewhat limited, although there are movies, TV shows and games available. Arriving into Guangzhou was an eye opener. The airport is huge and security is very strict. We were fingerprinted twice, but no issues being allowed into China. Flight time from Brisbane was about 8 hrs 30 mins. Overall a very good flight.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
2  Thank Kanga_2013
Reviewed 2 November 2018

We were denied to board our flight from Rome on our way back to Australia with the 2 days stopover in Guangzhou. The travel plan was a legally given itinerary by our agent to be serviced by China Southern Airlines.and was fully paid for. I have opted to use the 72 hrs. free visa for 2 days travel to Guangzhou.. At Rome airport I begged to be allowed to board the flight but I was told that due to China visa restrictions we cannot have the flight. We asked for them to contact their office, asked if they can help but all fell into deaf ears.We were told to call our travel agent which we did on long distance. The boarding check in counter told us that we cannot have the flight and we had to wait for 2 days before we can fly. The boarding check in counter read our itinerary which specified that our travel itinerary included flight and stay in Guangzhou for 2 days. I told them that we have hotel reservations in Guangzhou, which we hurriedly cancelled and told the China Southern Airlines staff that we did not have any hotel reservation in Rome as we are already booked to fly. When I asked if China Southern Airlines will provide us accommodation, this was also denied at first until I asked them to give us the form that the China Southern Airlines is suppose to provide which covers our rights if we are denied boarding. This form will cover complaints and compensation claims but China Southern Airlines did not provide me the form when I requested for it. After waiting at the Rome airport for 5 hrs the staff decided that China Southern Airlines will provide hotel accommodation.of their choosing.which included only breakfast. I was instructed that we are not suppose to have any other meals and that I have to pay for our own transport. to the airport and other meals which I paid. The hotel was 30 mins away from the airport, 22 kms from the nearest train station. We were stocked in the hotel for 2 days. We did not leave the hotel because we were unfamiliar with the area and China Southern Airlines did not provide us any other choice for transport or meals aside from the breakfast which came with the hotel accommodation. The 2 days was suppose to have been spent in Guangzhou, instead we were coped up in the hotel. The experience was so distressing and stressful. I need help to address this matter and will appreciate all offers of help from fellow Australian travelers or Australian travel advisory. We never had this experience before. .

3  Thank AURORA T
Reviewed 1 November 2018

Not a bad 18 hour flight verses the 15hour direct. Savings is about half. The one hour lay over in PEK gives you just enough time to catch your flight to HKG.

Date of travel: April 2018
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.