“Italian Vacation - first time with Cathay Pacific”
Review of Cathay Pacific

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was the first time we had flown with Cathay and the first time in Premium economy both were pleasant experiences

The extra legroom for me was great being 193 cms it made the flight very comfortable

Good food , friendly staff, on time flights , efficient service at the terminals

All in all a very positive experience

• Value for money
Write a ReviewReviews (11,569)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

For over 25 years, CX has been my “go-to” airline and I would choose them even though they were a little more expensive or their schedule was not perfect.

I started to cut back after a minor airport situation and a totally unacceptable CS reply where they had the audacity to assume that I would be on another CX flight.

The issue is that CX (and some other carriers) are more concerned about “not offending” an unruly passenger than providing a pleasant flight experience for the rest of the paying passengers in the cabin.

I booked CX last week mainly because I wanted to try out the new A351 (that was replaced at the last minute) and the results were disastrous.

There were 5 children in business class. 3 were incredibly well behaved but 2 siblings traveling with their mother and the Amah were out of control from the time they got onto the plane until landing.

My requests to the PSM to “do something, anything” were met with a shake of the head and a disappearance into the main cabin for the remainder of the flight. The repeated requests to the senior F/A were also basically ignored

The problem extends to the lounges that have become overcrowded and punctuated with the sounds of screaming and out of control children.

There is an easy solution many airlines and other service providers are too weak to institute them.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Can't rate this airline highly enough. Airbus A350 with excellent cabin crew service, food and the wine were all amazing.

Check in at London Gatwick was a breeze and although they don't have a Business Class lounge their, the wait a BAs lounge was fine.

Seat were comfortable, lie flat bed accommodate my large frame and the boarding plus disembarkation were spot on.

Plane arrive on time and bags were waiting for us on arrival.

10/10!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The flight attendants' atitude were good, food reasonable and flight smoothly. Boarding was very smooth, seat reasonably comfortable, flight entertainment update. Cabinet. Environment clean. Luggage handling at both airports were very good and smooth.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I'll be honest straight away and admit that I only booked this flight with this carrier because I got a great online deal.

Previously, I had a nightmare with another airline who (by default) separated my entire family and had put my 9 years old daughter in between 2 strangers several rows away from the rest of the family and refused to help me!

CP were the polar opposite! As soon as I had booked the tickets, I noted that you could only check-in 48 hours before the flight so I called their help centre (they have telephone numbers for the UK, Hong Kong and a generic international number).

The person I spoke to spoke good English, but you could tell it was not his first language, but he was sympathetic and told me of my options. I elected to pay an additional £25 per person so that he could move my family so we were all seated together (total of £200).

Even though I couldn't check-in until 2 days before we flew my seats were allocated to me, so I was assured we wouldn't be moved.

Whilst I was already impressed with CP's service, it gets better!

I received an email closer to the date of my departure, reminding me to update my details on CP's website (personal details, passport numbers, etc.) and when online check-in was opened, I received another email.

When I checked-in, I found all the details I had entered for me and my family had gone through so I just had to click the button to 'confirm' and we were all checked-in!

Their weight allowance is 40kg is per person, although no single suitcase can exceed 34kg (I think!), which is amazing given how little some other airlines give you, and they also email you your boarding pass when you check-in online.

However, I had to go to drop off my bags, so I had to go the check-in desk (at Hong Kong Airport, there are automated machines which can do this, which could save a lot of time when the desks are busy). The staff were great and we got all of our bags in within 5 minutes. They also printed off a physical copy of our boarding passes to save me using the QR Code on my email.

I travelled in rows 62 and 63 on an Airbus (A320) and I was very impressed with the amount of legroom - especially as it's Economy class. It's about 4 or 5 rows from the front of Economy and the gap between Economy and Economy Plus is filled with the toilets, so it's far enough away that you're not bothered by the queue but still close enough to be useful.

You're also close to the front for when they serve drinks / food / snacks and for the all important exit from the plane. When we began boarding, they took those in rows 63 to the end (i.e. most to the rear of the aircraft) first (obviously, after those in first class, etc.) which helped but they didn't do this on our return trip for some reason and it was slightly more chaotic trying to get to your seat.

The width of your seat space is adequate Still 'cattle class' with people squished in together as per the other airlines, but credit has to go to the seat designers who have installed a 2 tier tray system to assist you.

Instead of a single tray that folds down from the seat in front of you, you have the choice of an upper (smaller) tray and a lower tray that is also folded in half. This bi-fold tray then allows you to have a narrow tray for snacks, or you can fold it our for your meal, giving you as much room as it can, when you want it.

The upper tray has a 'hole' for drinks glasses and a stand for your mobile phone so you can sit it in either portrait or landscape and is just below a USB dock so you can also charge up your phone during the flight.

The trays are below the touch screen entertainment system which has the usual TV, Films and music but it also has an information page detailing the usual statistics (speed, current position, time at destination, etc.) and a 'camera' view.

The aircraft has 2 cameras - one at the tip of the tail section and the other on the underside, behind the front wheel. They are most of value on the take off and landing parts of the journey.

There is also an in-flight wi-fi service where you can connect to an internet service but this is likely to come at a price and as I didn't use it I can't really comment on this. I'm guessing it's designed for business users more than those on holiday.

You get a pair of headphones but I prefer to use my own earphones as they're noise cancelling and I found them perfect for the flight.

I did find a disparity in the crews, though. The one on my journey to Hong Kong seemed more 'professional' and completed all the tasks quickly and with little fuss whilst the one on my return seemed more unsure (as if they'd only recently completed their training) and they completed tasks more slowly.

That being said, they both did everything with a smile and as quickly as they could so you can't ask for more!

All in all, the flight was very smooth (probably the smoothest I've experienced, and the food was okay (airline food is probably as bad for every airline). The take off and landings were particularly good - better than any other flight I've been on, but I'm not sure whether that's down to the aircraft or the pilot!