“Smooth and pleasant flight”
Review of Cathay Pacific

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The flight attendants' atitude were good, food reasonable and flight smoothly. Boarding was very smooth, seat reasonably comfortable, flight entertainment update. Cabinet. Environment clean. Luggage handling at both airports were very good and smooth.

• Value for money
Write a ReviewReviews (11,657)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I'll be honest straight away and admit that I only booked this flight with this carrier because I got a great online deal.

Previously, I had a nightmare with another airline who (by default) separated my entire family and had put my 9 years old daughter in between 2 strangers several rows away from the rest of the family and refused to help me!

CP were the polar opposite! As soon as I had booked the tickets, I noted that you could only check-in 48 hours before the flight so I called their help centre (they have telephone numbers for the UK, Hong Kong and a generic international number).

The person I spoke to spoke good English, but you could tell it was not his first language, but he was sympathetic and told me of my options. I elected to pay an additional £25 per person so that he could move my family so we were all seated together (total of £200).

Even though I couldn't check-in until 2 days before we flew my seats were allocated to me, so I was assured we wouldn't be moved.

Whilst I was already impressed with CP's service, it gets better!

I received an email closer to the date of my departure, reminding me to update my details on CP's website (personal details, passport numbers, etc.) and when online check-in was opened, I received another email.

When I checked-in, I found all the details I had entered for me and my family had gone through so I just had to click the button to 'confirm' and we were all checked-in!

Their weight allowance is 40kg is per person, although no single suitcase can exceed 34kg (I think!), which is amazing given how little some other airlines give you, and they also email you your boarding pass when you check-in online.

However, I had to go to drop off my bags, so I had to go the check-in desk (at Hong Kong Airport, there are automated machines which can do this, which could save a lot of time when the desks are busy). The staff were great and we got all of our bags in within 5 minutes. They also printed off a physical copy of our boarding passes to save me using the QR Code on my email.

I travelled in rows 62 and 63 on an Airbus (A320) and I was very impressed with the amount of legroom - especially as it's Economy class. It's about 4 or 5 rows from the front of Economy and the gap between Economy and Economy Plus is filled with the toilets, so it's far enough away that you're not bothered by the queue but still close enough to be useful.

You're also close to the front for when they serve drinks / food / snacks and for the all important exit from the plane. When we began boarding, they took those in rows 63 to the end (i.e. most to the rear of the aircraft) first (obviously, after those in first class, etc.) which helped but they didn't do this on our return trip for some reason and it was slightly more chaotic trying to get to your seat.

The width of your seat space is adequate Still 'cattle class' with people squished in together as per the other airlines, but credit has to go to the seat designers who have installed a 2 tier tray system to assist you.

Instead of a single tray that folds down from the seat in front of you, you have the choice of an upper (smaller) tray and a lower tray that is also folded in half. This bi-fold tray then allows you to have a narrow tray for snacks, or you can fold it our for your meal, giving you as much room as it can, when you want it.

The upper tray has a 'hole' for drinks glasses and a stand for your mobile phone so you can sit it in either portrait or landscape and is just below a USB dock so you can also charge up your phone during the flight.

The trays are below the touch screen entertainment system which has the usual TV, Films and music but it also has an information page detailing the usual statistics (speed, current position, time at destination, etc.) and a 'camera' view.

The aircraft has 2 cameras - one at the tip of the tail section and the other on the underside, behind the front wheel. They are most of value on the take off and landing parts of the journey.

There is also an in-flight wi-fi service where you can connect to an internet service but this is likely to come at a price and as I didn't use it I can't really comment on this. I'm guessing it's designed for business users more than those on holiday.

You get a pair of headphones but I prefer to use my own earphones as they're noise cancelling and I found them perfect for the flight.

I did find a disparity in the crews, though. The one on my journey to Hong Kong seemed more 'professional' and completed all the tasks quickly and with little fuss whilst the one on my return seemed more unsure (as if they'd only recently completed their training) and they completed tasks more slowly.

That being said, they both did everything with a smile and as quickly as they could so you can't ask for more!

All in all, the flight was very smooth (probably the smoothest I've experienced, and the food was okay (airline food is probably as bad for every airline). The take off and landings were particularly good - better than any other flight I've been on, but I'm not sure whether that's down to the aircraft or the pilot!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Because this was a redeye (00.45am departure) I guess it's hard for the cabin crew to get the same level of enthusiasm as a morning/day flight but I found the Cathay welcome somewhat missing during boarding and pre-flight. I requested a bloody mary when drinks were brought around and got a plain tomato juice instead. Meal was served quickly and I was ready for sleep withing 1 hour of take-off. Two hours into sleep, and despite wearing ear plugs, I was awoken by loud conversation and laughing from the galley (I was two rows back from galley and the first row was unoccupied). I activated my call button and requested that the crew keep the noise level down as I (and most of the rest of the cabin) were trying to sleep. The crew member apologized and there was no further noise from the galley.

We got a good breakfast 90 minutes out from Dublin. I had to change seat for landing as the aisle-side arm rest would not retract for landing, despite the efforts of the purser and myself. Overall not a terrific flight on this Airbus 350-900

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I love this airline and they're not short of good reviews but on this Occassion, as an injured person, I had an opportunity to compare them with no less than 6 other airlines as I travelled throughout China on a 6 week work trip. Two weeks into the trip I so badly injured my ankle that I was still on crutches when I was to fly home with Cathay.

During the month on crutches I flew between 4 different cities each time relying on a wheelchair to assist at the airport. Although this had been arranged prior to each flight, Cathay Pacific was the only airline where the wheelchair was provided without hassle and I was able to take the crutches onto the plane without being pressured to check them as baggage. One airline made me sign a waver in relation to their liability because I wasn't carrying a "medical clearance" to fly. Needless to say by the time I arrived at the airport to fly from Hong Kong to Melbourne, I was exhausted and pretty cranky!

I was expecting a great flight but it was so much better than I expected. Nothing is too much trouble for this airline. They checked my baggage in earlier than I had right to expect which freed me to get around on my crutches. They provided a semi private area near the check-in where I could sit and wait if I wished ( there were very few seats available near the check-in counters ) and their graciousness was a balm after all I'd experienced. The wheelchair arrived without fuss and getting through security (there's an extra check now as you go to board at the gate) was all made easy for me.

The flight attendants looked after me "like a baby", assisting me on my way to the "loo" and regularly checking to see I was comfortable. Not being able to get around much in the airport, by the time I got on the plane I'd been ravenous and was provided with extra food. Some people may think I'm 'a bit of a wimp' but as I learnt, an injured ankle, though a relatively minor injury, can be incredibly disabling and frustrating and the service I received was greatly appreciated. It just confirmed what a fantastic airline this is. So if you find yourself injured while overseas and have the option, fly home with Cathay!!!!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Brilliant flight, great service, could not ask for anything whilst on board, Service was good from a very busy flight crew, could not fault their hard work.