“First class on a budget”
Review of Avianca

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Remember those days of flying with complete hot food service and free movies?? They’re still here with Avianca International flights. Wonderful new planes, Beautifully coiffed/uniformed attentive staff and safe pilots, this is a first class airline.

• In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
Write a ReviewReviews (13,992)

Reviewed 22 January 2018

This has asked for a specific flight - well we did 8 internal flights over 3 weeks with this airline to various internal destinations within Colombia - continually late over 30 mins at a time for 4 of them, they cancelled our late night flight to Cartagena at the last minute and left us stranded in Bogata (their offices aren't open then on site, nor were they open at 7am the next day when we checked in) and then to add insult to it lost our bags the next morning on the replacement flight. They did nothing to accommodate us in a hotel. .

The lost bags were promised on the next flight at 10.30am to be delivered by 11.30 but never came - our hotel had to ring 5 different numbers at midday in order to get a response and were told to ring back at 3pm - we had no clothes at all to change into and it was very hot. They finally arrived at 2.45pm by which time we had been out and purchased something to wear in desperation!

Then for the final internal flight connecting with our international one they were over 1 hr 30 mins late - we finally caught our flight with 20 mins to spare after getting through customs etc

If it was just one flight I could accept it but it is all the time, no apology and on three occasions after the 30 min delay they arrived on time as the flight was only 25 mins....so it seems they are building in the delay.

They started to serve drinks on the planes but didnt have time to serve everyone - we were in row 16 most flights and on 2 occasions they just stopped and walked away when they got to us.

There are plenty of other airlines flying internally in Colombia, I suggest you look at these if you need to fly.

2  Thank Thecatsmum4
Reviewed 22 January 2018

Flew from JFK to GIG via Bogota, Columbia (10 hour layover going / 2 hour delay back home). The flight from JFK to Bogota was great. I have an emotional support dog (trained and well mannered). We slept most of that flight because it left so early in the morning. We did a tour of the city during our layover. The flight from Bogota to Rio de Janeiro was just as comfortable. The flight attendants were attentive and friendly. Great customer experience. Here's the kicker - I wasn't advised at JFK that I needed a USDA form for my emotional support dog to get into Brazil. I was stopped and the Avianca agent Deborah helped me find a vet that would come to the airport to give my dog a flee treatment for $150 USD (even though I had proof of vaccination and flee treatment from the vet. Yes, I should have researched, but I would rather the agent at JFK book me on another flight and give me a chance to get the documentation in the US. I would have paid to change. Anyway, than goodness for Deborah, we had a great rip and welcomed the new year in Rio de Janeiro. Going back to JFK, the flight from GIG to Bogota was great. The flight from Bogota to JFK was with another carrier (Omni) and was just ok. A very old aircraft and ok service. Okay enough to get home. I forced myself to sleep to get through the flight without anxiety. Overall, Avianca is a great airline.

Reviewed 21 January 2018

The plane was clean, modern, the seats fully reclined. The hostesses were very polite and attentive/accomodating.
The food was the only weak point, but as the service was excellent I rated them with a 5.
The flight was delayed by 50’ and I had a connecting flight on a different ticket. I just made the connection, but throughout the flight the crew were keeping me updated with the arrival time and let me disembark first in order to gain time.

Reviewed 21 January 2018

Compared to US airplanes, the Colombian airlines still offer roomier cabins and more overhead space. Also, basic music and video are free. A very nice experience.Its a much more relaxed atmosphere...eg. travelers don't crowd the gates once the boarding begins. Its a pleasurable break from US travel.