“Ugh, American Airlines Disappoints”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Unfortunately American is one of the few airlines to get to Barbados. We’ve had issues with American Airlines delaying it cancelling flights in the past, so not too excited. Flight from Detroit was merged with another to Charlotte, ok, no problem. Finally get to Barbados and had a wonderful time! Day we’re leaving, get to airport, all checked in, through security, get to gate AND then notified flight is cancelled until tomorrow - and that time keeps changing. Did get our luggage but now back in line to figure out when, where and how we’ll be getting home. Hope it’s this week

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Worst airline. We had our flight to Los Angeles from Phoenix and they changed our gate number without letting us know. So we missed our flight to Los Angeles. We had another flight from LA to Hong Kong but we missed that too because of American Airlines not letting us know they changed our gate. We had to pay $4000 to get a flight to Hong Kong from Phoenix.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

4 hours delayed because two of the flight attendants didn’t show up. The management of this company is mess, they don’t even know they’re a service company.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Flight was delayed twice, not from weather, but flight and mechanical issues. I flew my family of three on delta and me on American Airlines as a scientific test. My family that flew delta arrived on time and I arrived 3 hours late. Similar departure and arrivals minus American underperforming….. Delta also gave them free upgrades to first.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This review is for American Airlines in terminal D and if not for Monica working here taking her time with me and actually figuring out how to get me home this would be 100% a zero star review! When I first departed from San Diego to Dallas they said that I couldn’t bring my carry on on the plane and they would transport it via baggage claim and it would meet me in Buffalo, my next and final destination, first inconvenience. The thing is I never got to Buffalo, after multiple hours of delays we were told countless times the plane is ready we will be boarding shortly we are just waiting on the captain. Nothing to do with the weather, that was the reason, and apparently he never came because about 4 hours from the initial departure time our flight was cancelled and me and countless others headed to Buffalo were thrown in freefall. 2nd and 3rd inconvenience. We were told while it was being cancelled to go to gate 24 for customer service. In that line I waited 4 hours and they only started taking people at another gate when I had two people in front of me as crazy as that is after already waiting for 4 hours until about 3 am. 4th inconvenience. When I finally got to the line to try and ask questions and look at potential nearby landing spots to Buffalo I was met with the most dismissive, ignorant customer service I had experienced, 5th inconvenience, I felt like a number and not a person to him as he gave me a standby pass for the next day but gave me no context and said they would contact me about a next available flight which didn’t happen as I missed a flight to Buffalo that morning trying to catch an hour of sleep that I didn’t know about until after. 6th inconvenience. He also said their would be no accommodations for me regarding a hotel or anywhere to stay (7th inconvenience) and mind you this is after they took all my luggage including my clothes and toiletries, so they essentially made me homeless in the airport for a night with dirty clothes and inherently forced me to buy overpriced airport toiletries (Major 8th inconvenience). What’s even crazier is this is after my flight to California in the first place from Buffalo was also cancelled by American Airlines the week before for no apparent reason, that same day I booked a Delta direct flight to lax and experienced absolutely no problems or inconveniences. I just can’t fathom that what they did these past 24 hours was legal not only did they cancel my flight, rude to me, it was a sarcastic “I’m sorry about that” with a smug smile after I was told by the poor American Airlines agent that I would have to spend the night at the airport because of no hotel and the fact that he couldn’t help me and just wanted to shove a standby pass in my face to get me out of the way when I had no idea what that was or how to use one. 9th inconvenience. I will never fly American Airlines again and I don’t ever wanna go to this city again, it’s like a very slow moving trap that they want to keep you stuck in to make more money out of you. I do however want to say the biggest thank you I can to Monica at the D24 service desk she was everything the other agent lacked. Not only did she take the time to explain things to me and the process, she was very polite, had a great smile, and ultimately helped me get the flight I need to get where I need to go even if that is Pittsburgh I appreciate her taking the extra step to at least get me close and treat me like a person! She was very knowledgeable about her job as well and knew what she could do or couldn’t for me. Maybe if everyone in the airline was as competent as Monica, the lines for people complaining wouldn’t be 4 hours and the airline would probably actually complete most of its flights, I’m 1 of 4 so far. All in all, this experience has made me hate Texas and American Airlines, but I have much respect and admiration for Monica as she made sure to help me out in a severe time of need for me! Never flying American Airlines again, but I’m grateful to finally eventually be going home due to Monica’s help!

Date of travel: May 2024
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.