“OMG”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 14 August 2022

What has happened to American Airlines!!!! Delay, delay, delay! 15 hours to return today when originally it was 8 hours which includes our travel to Liberia airport AND 1 hour home. What a joke, and our seats were downgraded so I will be asking for a refund! Ridiculous

Date of travel: August 2022
Write a reviewReviews (75,398)

Reviewed 14 August 2022

Avoid flying American Airlines out of JFK. The staff are completely incompetent. In an attempt to get passengers to check their baggage as opposed to accepting carry-on, they issue weird threats about not being able to guarantee that late checked baggage will make it on to the flight. Even if your carry-on fits in the sizer, they insist that it's too large and has to be checked. Here's the clincher, in the chaos they create at the gate, they mistag your checked baggage and send it to Kathmandu when you're travelling to Namibia. I spent my entire vacation trying to track my bag. Three weeks later, I'm back home and still trying to find my bag. No one will take responsibility or compensate me for lost luggage or additional expenses incurred having to replace clothing during my trip.

The airport staff at the JFK American Airlines terminal are the worst!

Date of travel: July 2022
1  Thank 4janinea
Reviewed 13 August 2022

Disappointed describes my recent flight experience. First of all I was flying First Class with two seats in row 1. Thought I would be the first to board - wrong! Passengers in rows 5 thru probably 10 were boarded first. To me, it's a big deal when I am exhausted and anxious to get into my First Class seat. Thought I would be served a drink very soon after boarding - wrong! When I was finally able to get a drink most of the flight had already found their seats. Hot towels to clean my hands and face would have been nice but I expected too much service! My son, a frequent AA customer, warned me not to expect too much regarding the food served in First Class. Boy, was he right. Again the airline served the passengers that were seated somewhere behind me first! They were offered some type of choice for their dinners but when it was my time to be served - there wasn't any choice. My dinner was absolutely horrible and I ate very little of it. I paid hundreds of dollars more to experience a comfortable, up scale, flight but it certainly wasn't worth the price. On a positive note - the seats were comfortable. Shame on American Airlines for providing such a low level of experience.

3  Thank Jim S
Reviewed 13 August 2022

We enjoyed our non-stop evening flight from Philly to Seattle aboard American airlines. We were seated in row 33 (3 rows from the back) and in boarding group 7 so I figured that we would have to fight for overhead bin space but we were able to find plenty of space as it appeared that they filled the flight from the front to back so that there were several open seats in the back. This played to our advantage since the aisle seat was unoccupied in our row so I moved to the aisle and left the middle seat open between my wife and I. I also had plenty of legroom. Our Airbus 321 was quite comfortable and I was able to hook my iphone up to their wifi and watch a movie during the flight. All in all a very good flight!

1  Thank County-Hunter
Reviewed 13 August 2022

Worst experience ever don’t fly with American Airlines ever!!!!! I was trapped at the airport for over 48 hours due to incompetence. The photos below don’t ever showcase the number issues and complaints.

This airline jeopardizes your job, your comfort and your patience. I waited over two days to get booked, harassed and turned down by a agent attempting to board after all that time sleeping in the airport as they didn’t provide a hotel or anything to me. The boarding representative was so rude and unkind as was customer service. I’ve never in my life seem such terrible behavior from any airline.

Date of travel: May 2022
1  Thank Blake126
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.