“American Airlines”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 1 September 2021

I flew American Airlines from St Louis to Daytona Beach. This trip had a layover in Charlotte, NC. The initial flight from St Louis to Charlotte was delayed 3 hours, and the flight from Charlotte to Daytona was outright cancelled. I was forced to spend the night in Charlotte. I waited for my checked bags in Charlotte until 1AM to find out that all staff able to retrieve my checked bag had left for the night, so I missed my shuttle to the Charlotte hotel and had to pay for an Uber to the hotel. I insisted I needed my checked bag since there were prescriptions inside of my checked bag, but American Airlines staff refused to retrieve my checked bag. I was given 1 meal voucher and one hotel voucher. However, the hotel voucher did not cover the total cost of the room in Charlotte. American did not cover the cost of the Uber either. In summary, the airline appeared to be understaffed with disgruntled employees littered throughout my experience.

1  Thank Nicholas S
Write a reviewReviews (75,112)

Reviewed 1 September 2021

Delays coming and going. More concerned about masks than anything else. Tmwirst part of our trip was flying aa

1  Thank robcP1505QT
Reviewed 31 August 2021

STAY AWAY!!!! Pay more money with another airline, it’s NOT worth it! I had $1900 out-of-pocket expenses American is refusing to reimburse me for. I have been a customer of American Airlines (AA) for many years; I hold a Premium AAdvantage Card (with over 110K points) and I also hold an Admiral's Club Card as well. On 8/14/21 I was on vacation with my family (wife and two children) returning home. It started off with the flight from Savannah to Charlotte. We were supposed to depart at 12:43pm, with a connecting flight to Boston at 3:02pm. The flight kept getting delayed (and terminals moved) and we did not take off until almost 2:45pm (Already missing connecting flight). On top of that, the aircraft had a poorly working ground Air Conditioner (87 degrees outside; did not work well in the air as well). We were then diverted to Willington NC due to a ‘pop-up’ storm. We sat on the tarmac for over 2 HOURS with no ground A/C. Finally, they moved us to a terminal; where we sat for another 3hrs. We then attempted to get a secondary flight home (since we missed our connecting flight) and we were given the “OPTION” of flying back to Boston 2 ½ days later, which would be the ‘earliest flight’ for four people. To make it home on-time for work, we booked with another airline (4 tickets). We finally took-off and got back to Charlotte at 10pm. American Airlines gave us no information when we landed, nor was there anyone to give us direction after landing so late. We rented a hotel room and paid for an uber to/from the hotel. (We also had to pay for additional day of parking and a day of kennel for my dog after finally making home). This mistake of American Airlines cost me in total $1,900.00 because of the original delay of flight (weather was fine up until our LATE landing point). I filed paperwork online with AA Customer Relations. I was THEN contacted by AA customer relations (after two weeks after putting in a ‘complaint’ and request for reimbursement) and they informed me that “Only the hotel would be reimbursed; we do not cover other ‘out-of-pocket’ expenses, since they offered me a flight home 2 ½ days later…SERIOUSLY??? I went as far as speaking to a Supervisor at AA who also reiterated the same information. Their new logo should be “AMERICAN AIRLINES, SOONER OR LATER WE’LL GET YOU SOMEWHERE...”

• Seat comfort
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
1  Thank Brian S

Where to start..
I had finally earned enough miles to cash in a trip for my husband and myself. Going to vacation, not an issue, but the trip home was a total nightmare.
First, they moved us from the initial flight home to one 3 hours later. When I called to see about changing to another flight, I was told I would have to cancel that trip/flight and either pay out of pocket or wait for my miles to be restored to use them. It was the day before we were flying home so we just left it.
Then on the actual day home, our initial flight got delayed twice-no reasoning why but we could still make our connector. When we arrived in Charlotte and reached our gate, we were notified that this flight was also delayed. Again no reason. This flight went from leaving at 730pm to after 4 delays, 1041pm. We went from getting home initially at 7pm to 1am.
Now I understand stuff happens, but there was no communication. We were all sitting at the gate and no one was telling us anything and the plane was there, we got alerts that our luggage was on the plane but yet nothing. We just sat. The airport workers could have cared less as well. They were obviously just waiting on our flight to leave because at one time there were 15 of them sitting around on their phones. None of them offered us any water, snacks or explinations.

1  Thank marthac499
Reviewed 31 August 2021

My parents were on this flight. At the door of the plane they asked to check my moms very small carryon because there wasn't anymore room. She didn't think about it but realized that other people with bigger bas were not being checked. She had a gold bracelet in her carryon and didn't think to take it out once they checked her bag. It wasn't until she was unpacking that she realized the bracelet box was in her bag but the bracelete was gone. A brand new bracelete. Why did they not ask the people after my mom to check their bigger bags. She was singled out. I reached out to the Airline and spoke to the most lathargic individual to which I have ever spoken.

• Seat comfort
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
1  Thank Phx2Gdl
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.