“Mr”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 1 September 2021

Delays coming and going. More concerned about masks than anything else. Tmwirst part of our trip was flying aa

1  Thank robcP1505QT
Write a reviewReviews (75,106)

Reviewed 31 August 2021

STAY AWAY!!!! Pay more money with another airline, it’s NOT worth it! I had $1900 out-of-pocket expenses American is refusing to reimburse me for. I have been a customer of American Airlines (AA) for many years; I hold a Premium AAdvantage Card (with over 110K points) and I also hold an Admiral's Club Card as well. On 8/14/21 I was on vacation with my family (wife and two children) returning home. It started off with the flight from Savannah to Charlotte. We were supposed to depart at 12:43pm, with a connecting flight to Boston at 3:02pm. The flight kept getting delayed (and terminals moved) and we did not take off until almost 2:45pm (Already missing connecting flight). On top of that, the aircraft had a poorly working ground Air Conditioner (87 degrees outside; did not work well in the air as well). We were then diverted to Willington NC due to a ‘pop-up’ storm. We sat on the tarmac for over 2 HOURS with no ground A/C. Finally, they moved us to a terminal; where we sat for another 3hrs. We then attempted to get a secondary flight home (since we missed our connecting flight) and we were given the “OPTION” of flying back to Boston 2 ½ days later, which would be the ‘earliest flight’ for four people. To make it home on-time for work, we booked with another airline (4 tickets). We finally took-off and got back to Charlotte at 10pm. American Airlines gave us no information when we landed, nor was there anyone to give us direction after landing so late. We rented a hotel room and paid for an uber to/from the hotel. (We also had to pay for additional day of parking and a day of kennel for my dog after finally making home). This mistake of American Airlines cost me in total $1,900.00 because of the original delay of flight (weather was fine up until our LATE landing point). I filed paperwork online with AA Customer Relations. I was THEN contacted by AA customer relations (after two weeks after putting in a ‘complaint’ and request for reimbursement) and they informed me that “Only the hotel would be reimbursed; we do not cover other ‘out-of-pocket’ expenses, since they offered me a flight home 2 ½ days later…SERIOUSLY??? I went as far as speaking to a Supervisor at AA who also reiterated the same information. Their new logo should be “AMERICAN AIRLINES, SOONER OR LATER WE’LL GET YOU SOMEWHERE...”

1  Thank Brian S

Where to start..
I had finally earned enough miles to cash in a trip for my husband and myself. Going to vacation, not an issue, but the trip home was a total nightmare.
First, they moved us from the initial flight home to one 3 hours later. When I called to see about changing to another flight, I was told I would have to cancel that trip/flight and either pay out of pocket or wait for my miles to be restored to use them. It was the day before we were flying home so we just left it.
Then on the actual day home, our initial flight got delayed twice-no reasoning why but we could still make our connector. When we arrived in Charlotte and reached our gate, we were notified that this flight was also delayed. Again no reason. This flight went from leaving at 730pm to after 4 delays, 1041pm. We went from getting home initially at 7pm to 1am.
Now I understand stuff happens, but there was no communication. We were all sitting at the gate and no one was telling us anything and the plane was there, we got alerts that our luggage was on the plane but yet nothing. We just sat. The airport workers could have cared less as well. They were obviously just waiting on our flight to leave because at one time there were 15 of them sitting around on their phones. None of them offered us any water, snacks or explinations.

1  Thank marthac499
Reviewed 31 August 2021

My parents were on this flight. At the door of the plane they asked to check my moms very small carryon because there wasn't anymore room. She didn't think about it but realized that other people with bigger bas were not being checked. She had a gold bracelet in her carryon and didn't think to take it out once they checked her bag. It wasn't until she was unpacking that she realized the bracelet box was in her bag but the bracelete was gone. A brand new bracelete. Why did they not ask the people after my mom to check their bigger bags. She was singled out. I reached out to the Airline and spoke to the most lathargic individual to which I have ever spoken.

1  Thank Phx2Gdl
Reviewed 31 August 2021

Words cannot cover how frustrated we feel right now. In May 2021, American Airlines cancelled our flight home and instead of refunding us, gave us flight credits for the return portion of the trip that was cancelled (amount around $321). In July, I had to cancel an American Airlines flight for $608 and was again given this amount in flight credits. Total, we had over $900 in flight credits to use within the year.

Yesterday, we tried to use our flight credits to purchase a ticket for $474 - this was the amount VERIFIED with me on the phone - and we were told we had $838 in flight credits to apply; seemed close enough to what I had expected. After speaking to the "help desk", our representative told us we still needed to cover $64 because our flight credit didn't cover the ticket entirely...somehow the $838 didn't cover the $474. When I expressed confusion over this, the representative said there was nothing she could do about it and "do you want to book your ticket or not?" I went ahead and booked but called back this morning because we knew we were missing a large chunk of what we should have had.

I was given SEVERAL explanations for what happened, ultimately being told all of the following: 1) The flight went up to $903 while I was on the phone last night and the person who verified $474 with me forgot to mention the increase...2) The flight back in May should have been refunded in cash, although we were given flight credits...3) That the help desk calculated everything correctly, it was because we didn't use half of our trip back in May (that THEY cancelled...and didn't give us a refund for)...4) Lastly, and perhaps most confusingly, they took our flight from May and put it into a multi-city trip for our upcoming trip to use the flight credits, resulting in a ticket over $900 (despite the fact we paid for half the trip back in May, THEY cancelled the other half of our trip, AND our receipt from the ticket booked just LAST NIGHT was $474 total, not $900 like they were claiming).

I'm beyond disappointed that we have given this company so much of our time and money. We will NOT be booking with them again. Would not recommend booking with them, even if their prices are cheaper - they are cheaper for a reason.

Date of travel: May 2021
1  Thank emilyhI6456FH
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.