“Being a member DOESN'T have any perks”
Review of American Airlines

Where to start..
I had finally earned enough miles to cash in a trip for my husband and myself. Going to vacation, not an issue, but the trip home was a total nightmare.
First, they moved us from the initial flight home to one 3 hours later. When I called to see about changing to another flight, I was told I would have to cancel that trip/flight and either pay out of pocket or wait for my miles to be restored to use them. It was the day before we were flying home so we just left it.
Then on the actual day home, our initial flight got delayed twice-no reasoning why but we could still make our connector. When we arrived in Charlotte and reached our gate, we were notified that this flight was also delayed. Again no reason. This flight went from leaving at 730pm to after 4 delays, 1041pm. We went from getting home initially at 7pm to 1am.
Now I understand stuff happens, but there was no communication. We were all sitting at the gate and no one was telling us anything and the plane was there, we got alerts that our luggage was on the plane but yet nothing. We just sat. The airport workers could have cared less as well. They were obviously just waiting on our flight to leave because at one time there were 15 of them sitting around on their phones. None of them offered us any water, snacks or explinations.

1  Thank marthac499
Write a reviewReviews (75,106)

Reviewed 31 August 2021

My parents were on this flight. At the door of the plane they asked to check my moms very small carryon because there wasn't anymore room. She didn't think about it but realized that other people with bigger bas were not being checked. She had a gold bracelet in her carryon and didn't think to take it out once they checked her bag. It wasn't until she was unpacking that she realized the bracelet box was in her bag but the bracelete was gone. A brand new bracelete. Why did they not ask the people after my mom to check their bigger bags. She was singled out. I reached out to the Airline and spoke to the most lathargic individual to which I have ever spoken.

• Seat comfort
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
1  Thank Phx2Gdl
Reviewed 31 August 2021

Words cannot cover how frustrated we feel right now. In May 2021, American Airlines cancelled our flight home and instead of refunding us, gave us flight credits for the return portion of the trip that was cancelled (amount around $321). In July, I had to cancel an American Airlines flight for $608 and was again given this amount in flight credits. Total, we had over $900 in flight credits to use within the year.

Yesterday, we tried to use our flight credits to purchase a ticket for $474 - this was the amount VERIFIED with me on the phone - and we were told we had $838 in flight credits to apply; seemed close enough to what I had expected. After speaking to the "help desk", our representative told us we still needed to cover $64 because our flight credit didn't cover the ticket entirely...somehow the $838 didn't cover the $474. When I expressed confusion over this, the representative said there was nothing she could do about it and "do you want to book your ticket or not?" I went ahead and booked but called back this morning because we knew we were missing a large chunk of what we should have had.

I was given SEVERAL explanations for what happened, ultimately being told all of the following: 1) The flight went up to $903 while I was on the phone last night and the person who verified $474 with me forgot to mention the increase...2) The flight back in May should have been refunded in cash, although we were given flight credits...3) That the help desk calculated everything correctly, it was because we didn't use half of our trip back in May (that THEY cancelled...and didn't give us a refund for)...4) Lastly, and perhaps most confusingly, they took our flight from May and put it into a multi-city trip for our upcoming trip to use the flight credits, resulting in a ticket over $900 (despite the fact we paid for half the trip back in May, THEY cancelled the other half of our trip, AND our receipt from the ticket booked just LAST NIGHT was $474 total, not $900 like they were claiming).

I'm beyond disappointed that we have given this company so much of our time and money. We will NOT be booking with them again. Would not recommend booking with them, even if their prices are cheaper - they are cheaper for a reason.

Date of travel: May 2021
    • Seat comfort
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
1  Thank emilyhI6456FH
Reviewed 31 August 2021

This review is about Allianz Insurance, not about the airline, but I purchased the insurance through the AA website. I cancelled the flights over a month ago for flights that are still 3 weeks from today, so I cancelled the flights well over 2 months out. I tried to cancel the trip insurance and the contact numbers for Allianz Insurance had me on hold for over an hour... twice. I emailed them the cancellation request with no acknowledgement from Allianz. Beware this travel insurance company... no customer service, and once you sign up, you can't cancel. I would suggest never getting travel insurance from this company until the day before your flight departs.

1  Thank otterpro
Reviewed 31 August 2021

Our experience with American Airlines was not the best as we thought it would be. This was the first time that American Airlines has charged us 90 dollars for each checked bag and we could’ve used those 90 dollars for a taxi because that was our only source of money that we had for our trip. On our first flight to our layover wasn’t bad but disappointing because of the fact that the seats weren’t cleaned at all, the airplane was an old airplane, and they only offered us some cookies to eat on that 4 hour flight! On our second flight once again the seat wasn’t cleaned and they have only gave us cookies and water which was very poorly of them to do when they charge us a lot for our flight ticket. I believe that they should start thinking of upgrading their food options because they have earned/have enough money to give passengers other things than just cookies like com’on. They don’t even offer a tv for economy class and they just mostly charged us a lot of money for almost everything. Very disappointing American Airlines. If you are doing this for people to pay for buisness or first class, big mistake American Airlines and you will eventually be on the number one worst airlines

1  Thank 884alexaq
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.