“Shout out to Debra”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 14 November 2019

Just landed in Harrisburg from flight 4819. Debra, the attendant made my 6 year-old son's day by inviting him to the cockpit as we were walking out. The guys in the cockpit were a class act as well.

1  Thank TakinItEasyRossi
Write a reviewReviews (74,474)

Reviewed 14 November 2019

I rarely travel business but British Airways offered me a great deal for Paris-LA! Except that the leg between London and LA was with AA. While it was great to have more space and more privacy, I was especially looking forward to be able to lie down flat. Unfortunately, my seat was horribly uncomfortable, so I definitely did not manage to sleep or just rest. The cushions are soft but the edges where they meet are very hard and make the flat position painful. The plane is very noisy, too. So, I was glad I had brought my natural wax earplugs! I usually travel Premium on Norwegian (of course much cheaper!). Norwegian's seats don't lie completely flat, but are more comfortable than AA, and at least their planes are way less noisy and the service is impeccable. On this AA flight, I made the mistake of picking the 1st front row, so I was the closest to the service area. I had to put up with the non-stop chatter of the flight attendants who were pretty loud and seemingly more focused on gossip than on service. Food was ok. The lounge food in London is.. well... British... Overall not a great experience and a big disappointment. I am not looking forward to my return flight. I guess I'll have to buy some kind of pad to make the seat more comfortable.

Date of travel: October 2019
1  Thank spinesaver
Reviewed 14 November 2019

Flight attendant Suzanne (Indianapolis-based) on flight 4312 (RDU to PHL) was rude and unprofessional, treating customers as if they were children in her classroom. Just one example: someone's phone went off and instead of politely reminding everyone to shut off their phones, she charged up and down the aisle shouting "Whose phone was that?!?!"

Her disrespectful tone with multiple passengers and overall approach to service made for a very unpleasant and negative flight.

2  Thank Sarah K

American Airlines Flight 4277
(Operated by American Eagle – Republic Airways)
MSY-PHL
7:45-11:29 am
Embraer 175

We were happy to have a nonstop flight home from New Orleans to Philadelphia, and when we initially booked the flight, it was scheduled to be a mainline American Airlines flight. However, about a month before our trip, it was switched to become an American Eagle flight on a smaller regional jet instead, operated by Republic Airways. In general, I didn’t really mind this, especially since the 2-2 seating on the regional jet is actually preferable for my wife and I traveling alone. However, the service from one flight attendant in particular was far from pleasant or professional, making this flight an example of a mediocre experience on American.

Our flight was scheduled to depart from New Orleans at 7:45 am, and when we arrived at the gate, I was surprised to find another aircraft still there, and our plane, which had arrived the night prior, was nowhere to be found. Since our scheduled boarding time was fast approaching, and the other flight still had not left the gate, the gate agent did make an announcement to let us know that the late departure of the previous aircraft at the gate was delaying them from bringing our aircraft over from another gate where it was currently parked. I was confused as to why they didn’t just have our flight depart from the gate where it had arrived the night before in the first place, which would have alleviated this issue entirely. Either way, I did appreciate that the gate agent was pleasant and provided numerous updates while we were waiting to board. This flight was also on the last day that the old MSY Airport was open, before it shut down and the completely new MSY on the other side of the runway opened the next day. The airport looked like it was very much in the process of being shut down and cleared out that day, so the weird logistics may have had something to do with that.

When the other flight did eventually leave from our gate, I was hoping our aircraft would be waiting right there to pull in, but it actually still took another 10-15 minutes for it to show up. I would have thought they would take every opportunity to get the plane into the gate as fast as possible, but things were a little delayed. Once the aircraft was at the gate, I was actually impressed with how quickly the crew got on and boarding began. Since it was a regional jet with only 76 seats, boarding was relatively quick, even though it was a full flight. Overhead bin space was limited, but we had no trouble getting space for our carry-ons when boarding in Group 5.

Since I was worried that regular seats in the Main Cabin would be really tight for a flight that was almost 3 hours long in a regional jet, we paid for Main Cabin Extra (MCE) seats with extra legroom, and I was glad that we did. I didn’t feel like we had as much space as on some other aircraft in MCE offer, but it was definitely spacious enough, since regional are notorious for feeling tight.

We only left the gate about 10 minutes late, since boarding went so quickly, and we also made up a lot of time in-flight, ultimately arriving at the gate in Philadelphia almost 10 minutes early, which was great. The flight was pretty unremarkable, with the exception of the service, which was a negative. I noticed as soon as we boarded that one of the two flight attendants did not seem very friendly. She stood by the main door glaring at passengers as we boarded, rather than greeting us in the typical fashion.

Once we were en route, this same flight attendant was completely miserable while serving drinks, giving off a really negative attitude when it didn’t appear that a single passenger was doing anything to make her day more difficult. We were simply ordering the drinks that are a standard part of the in-flight service. I did appreciate that a choice of snacks was offered with the drink service. It was just the standard pretzels or Biscoff cookies, but it was nice to have an option. The nicer of the two flight attendants did also come around to offer additional water one other time later in the flight.

It was a bit annoying that the captain did not turn off the seatbelt sign for the majority of the flight, despite the fact that the flight wasn’t turbulent at all. When the seatbelt sign was finally turned off, several people understandably needed to use the bathroom, my wife included. My wife reported that there were only two people, including herself, waiting for the bathroom in the back at that time, and the nicer flight attendant in the back had no problem with them being there. However, at this same time, the considerably ruder flight attendant felt the need to make an announcement in a very rude tone about not congregating by the bathroom and saying that all passengers who were standing up needed to return to their seats. There is no need to be so rude when passengers have been unexpectedly stuck in their seats for two hours and a couple people just need to use the bathroom.

Overall, this flight was fine, since it was a convenient nonstop flight for us, and it ultimately arrived early at PHL. I’m not a huge fan of American Eagle regional jets, but an Embraer 175 is definitely one of the better ones if you’re going to be on an American Eagle flight, so the aircraft itself was fine. The only real negative was the very rude service from one flight attendant, which made an otherwise fine flight worse than it should have been.

Reviewed 14 November 2019

My friends and I were supposed to be flying to New Orleans but our flight was cancelled due to weather. The airline promised us over the phone that if they flew us to Mississippi instead that they would reimburse us for any car rental costs to get us to our final destination. We agreed to fly to Mississippi because of this agreement. They said we can just call them and they'll walk us through how to get the refund and it will be an easy process.
Once the trip was complete I called the airline and they said they can't do anything over the phone and to contact their customer support email. I did so and they said there's nothing they can do and they don't refund car rentals ever. There was a lot of back and forth, I explained that we were guaranteed a refund and they REFUSED to honour that guarantee and kept repeating that they got us to Mississippi and that was their only responsibility.
HORRIBLE customer service.
Will NEVER fly with them again.

Date of travel: October 2019
2  Thank Shannon C
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.