“Orlando to Santo Domingo”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 18 December 2018

Good flights from Orlando to Miami and then on to Santo Domingo. Left on time and arrived in Miami on time. Short walk to the next gate with enough time to grab a salad to take on board. Departed a bit late due to a passenger not getting on the flight so they had to remove their bag. Still managed to get to Santo Domingo only a few minutes late.

Date of travel: December 2018
    • Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (71,331)

Reviewed 18 December 2018

I wouldn't say that I'm a frequent flyer but usually do so once or twice a year. When making my flight reservation for a trip from SFO to RIC, I had allowed more than an hour of wait time between my arrival in Charlotte from San Francisco and my departure from Charlotte to Richmond, VA.

Upon arriving in Charlotte I found that my departure to Richmond had already been delayed, I passed by the gate and found no equipment present, I went to get something to eat but found that most of the airport restaurants were no longer serving food, however I did get some good brisket from a barbeque joint.

Whether it was the gate attendant's diction or the poor performance of the public address system, the first flight announcement was darn near unintelligible. The plane we were supposed to board had not arrived and was delayed. I was kept entertained by watching the reactions of my fellow passengers and finishing a book I had brought along.

After an hour or so there was a steady stream of folks arriving in the area and it became quite crowded with folks standing in line to question the gate agent. I suppose they were rescheduling their flights to another carrier. I didn't want to do this as it's expensive and I didn't want to lose my seat in case I was not successful rebooking.

As the evening wore on, every once in awhile, somone would shout up to the agent questioning about status. These queries became more "pointed" as time went on and eventually the agent became rather "defensive". This whole situation was not being handled well at all. With every delay announcement, passengers shouted questions about various facets of our passage, usually followed by statements about how inconvinient this whole situation was.

Eventually the equipment arrived at the gate and disgorged its passengers.

On 11/09 at 09:22 PM we were informed that flight AA1136 would leave at 10:45 PM

On 11/09 at 09:46 PM we were informed that flight AA1136 would leave at 12:19 AM

On 11/09 at 10:24 PM we were informed that flight AA1136 would leave at 12:40 AM

On 11/09 at 10:36 PM we were informed that flight AA1136 would leave at 12:20 AM

On 11/10 at 12:23 AM we were informed that flight AA1136 would leave at 08:00 AM

I called my wife who had started for the RIC airport and told her to go home. The airline had strung us along when they knew fully that this fight would never take off. The crew had reached their time limit for flying.

After this last announcement about half the folks assembled sprinted to the customer service area. I couldn't undertsand what was being said so I walked closer to the agent to hear what was being repeated. We were being stranded at CLT by American Airlines!

The folks that sprinted to customer service received vouchers for overnight stays at participating hotels. They quickly ran out of them. My carry-on had my medicine but my coat was in my luggage in the belly of the plane or whereever the luggage was at that point in time.

I questioned the agent when it was my turn to re-book if I could sleep on the plane with one of their blankets and a pillow. I received a grunt in response. Then I asked if a pillow and a blanket could be procured from the plane since they forced me to sleep in the airport overnight. The answer was no. I asked if they, perhaps partnered with the airport to provide cots for folks to sleep on. He said no. I asked if the Admials Club could be opened up for passengers to use. He said no. I re-booked my flight for the next morning and received a big twelve dollar voucher for a meal.

I wandered around the terminal looking for places to sleep, the chapel was full, the rocking chairs were all taken, eventually I found a booth in the food court where I laid down. No pillow, no blanket, I used my backpack to prop up my head. I guess I slept for maybe two hours. The cleaning crew and TSA agents in the area were quite noisey and disturbed my sleep.

It was cold in the terminal all night long. After I woke up, I walked around to find the warmest area where I then laid down and performed my physical therapy stretches, much to the amusement of other arriving passengers I assume.

I had a pretty good breakfast for the twelve bucks. I meandered to the gate and sat down to once again read my book. After awhile a snack cart filled with cookies, candies and chips and pretzels and various drinks rolled into the area and the vultures descended. After the crowd died down I grabbed what I wanted from what was left.

The boarding process proceed normally accept for the fact that my boarding pass showed that the seat I was to accupy WAS NOT EVEN PRESENT ON THE PLANE!

Having made my way to the final row looking for my seat the crew member told me I could sit there. Nobody but me sat in that row, what a joy. The flight to RIC was uneventful for which I was glad because I don't think I could take any more nonsence. I'll never patronize this airline again if I can help it.

Date of travel: November 2018
3  Thank wood_brothers21
Reviewed 18 December 2018

On time, Good , no problems, everyone was nice and efficient, food was ok boarding was Quick except for the people with carry on's what a mess it was to get to your seats! Should Not have carry on except when you have children

Date of travel: July 2018
Reviewed 18 December 2018

For a 13 1/2 hour flight it was pretty good. The entertainment choices are downright endless from movies to games to internet access and all free!! They handed out earbuds so everyone could access these items, also gratis. They fed us well with drinks, choice of dinner, snacks and breakfast, all very good for airline food...LOL. Great legroom and the seats dip when they recline so no more seats in your knees. Overall a decent flight with no charge for anything that I was aware of, even got to check 2 bags for free. My only complaints are 1) that we picked up a tailwind and got in 45 mins early, which normally would not be a problem, but it was 5:30am when we arrived in LAX and customs doesn't open until 6am so we were forced to sit on the plane for an extra 30 mins for nothing. 2) one male flight attendant was a jerk. I had taken my shoes off to be comfy-was in the middle seat-I had gotten up to let the passenger in the window seat get out to use the toilet and did not bother putting my shoes on to stand behind my row and wait for the person to return. When this flight attendant came by he literally treated me like a child (I am 64). He rebuked me for being barefoot on "his plane" and told me I had better not be walking around in "his plane" in my bare feet. I had to explain the situation to this rude employee since he was quite loud about his unhappiness and embarressed me in front of my fellow passengers. American needs to remind their flight attendants who has paid for the flight and in turn their jobs.

Date of travel: December 2018
Reviewed 18 December 2018 via mobile

As a frequent flyer on American Airlines - I must say the excellence in service, hospitality and professionalism of this airlines exceeds all others!

I highly recommend American Airlines to everyone looking to book a trip ... they go over and above!

Date of travel: June 2018
US$USD
Ireland
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.