“American is trying harder”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 21 September 2018

I worked for American in the late 90's to early 00's. Actually got laid off the day after 9/11. I'm a physician and it was the only big corporate job I've ever had and was quite an eye opener. The most toxic work environment I've ever seen. Everyone hated everyone.

The pilots hated the flight attendants. The attendants hated the pilots.The ramp workers hated the mechanics. Baggage handlers hated the cabin crew, etc, etc. And the ticket agents, who weren't unionized and paid lower, hated all who were union. Finally management was Draconian and demeaned every employee.

I've been self-employed since then but still have many AA pilots and attendants see me. Up until 5 years ago all I heard was dissent and discord. This is what I always experienced on an AA flight. The flight attendants were curt and pilots distant and aloof.

Well in the past 2 or 3 years there has been a change. The old battle axe attendants are fewer and giving way to younger, pleasant, smiling, genuinely helpful people. The pilots sound like a trusted friend. Travel on AA isn't like having an unprepped Barium enema anymore.

Is it perfect. No. Better, yes.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (48,807)

Reviewed 21 September 2018

flight left on time and arrived about 20 min early. the best sort of flight - uneventful.
was a direct flight .

Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

Was flying from SEA to HOU with a layover in Dallas. Got to Dallas fine with no problems. The problems started in Dallas. Got to the gate for connecting flight to HOU only to find out American airlines forgot to hire a pilot for the flight. We would be on standby till the airline located a pilot. To give a guideline of time ... plane arrived in Dallas at around 4:45 pm in the afternoon connecting flight was to leave at 6:17 pm. At 7:30 pm a few of the passengers started asking if the airline could possibly get us other flights. We were informed that until flight was officially cancelled there was nothing the airline could do for us. At 10:45 pm 10 minutes after the last flight out for the night the airline officially cancelled the flight due to not finding a pilot to fly the plane. They would have us on flights the following day as they could get us as a standby basis filling of seats on flights not full. I asked if the airline was offing any kind of compensation for this inconvenient situation. We as a group of stranded travelers ( about 35 - 40 of us waiting) were told we would get vouchers for the Starbucks it the concourse closest to where we were waiting. They would open at 7:00 am in the morning. No accommodation were available. We were more than welcome to sleep in the terminal if we wanted or find accommodation on our own but the airline does NOT reimburse nor are they liable for the inconvenience. Of for our group of travelers it consisted of... 2 oil rig workers that had to be on the rig by 3 am, at least a dozen business people who had to make Houston in the morning for meetings, 5 students trying to make it back to school, and the rest ,various other situations they were trying to get to HOU for. I personally was trying to get there before my dad passed away. He was in critical condition in a coma . I also was 4 days into being treated for bronchial pneumonia so sleeping in airport was out of the question. As it was urgent and needing to get to Houston asap I had my sister drive up and get me at airport. For the next 5 days with help of my sister and her best friend and continuous contact with American airlines all I ended up with was a letter stating I would get a 10% discount coupon to use the next time I fly that expires Jan 30, 2019. Odd set circumstances was my brother died of a heart attack 75 miles from the hospital my dad was in while I was in route waiting for pilot in Dallas. My dad died while I was in route after my sister picked me up by car. Had my flight been on time or even flown that and not been cancelled I could of at least said goodbye to one or even both of them. I am still appalled by American airlines not doing anything for the group of us that were stranded. Most all of us found other means to get were we needed to be with little to no compensation.

Date of travel: January 2018
1  Thank azursol
Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

I recently flew from San Jose, Ca to Minneapolis- St Paul. I only had 35 minutes between flights in Phoenix & both me AND my checked bag made it! We also arrived 30 minutes early! Score!!!

Reviewed 21 September 2018

We chose this flight because the departure time was the most convinent for us. We usually fly Hawaiian airlines so had forgotten that the other airlines do not provide meals on the plane. Luckily we had packed some snacks, but the kids were pretty grouchy after having only cheese cubes for lunch (they did not like the sandwich we purchased on the flight). Don't forget to bring something yummy to eat!!
Also, the bathrooms stopped working (got backed up) towards the end of the flight (last 2 hours or so) so they had to discontinue beverage service to try and reduce the usage....

Date of travel: August 2018