“unexpected legroom!”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 17 October 2017

I was surprised to find that I got to sit in aisle 7, right after the business class. The space is roomy and comfy, and for some reason I had great seatmates where at one point we were chitchatting with each other. I haven't been on a similar flight before and up till now where you have some sort of interaction with your seatmates. Anyway, I also like the pre-departure video, I think it's fresh and creative.

Date of travel: September 2017
1  Thank ddg858
Write a ReviewReviews (49,881)

Reviewed 17 October 2017

They charged me for every piece of checked luggage. Then, they tried to pressure me into purchasing seats, so my wife and I could sit together. They assigned us on opposite sides of the plane, to make us feel like we had to purchase seats. We refused, and then had to ask someone to swap seats, so we could sit beside each other. Also, as people were moving briskly, to get on the plane, the attendants were snatching people's carry-on bags, and claiming that they "would not fit" in the overhead compartments on this plane, and were forcing passengers to pay to "check" the bags. I watched them pull this little money-making scheme several times. The poor people were not even able to question their chicanery, because there were so many people behind them, waiting to board. Pretty good little scam. Return trip, repeat same.

Date of travel: September 2017
2  Thank Elvaandov
Reviewed 16 October 2017

The first bad omen was the long line at the gate adjacent to ours, indicating a delayed flight. People waited and waited, and got no explanation of what the problem was. Then, the same thing started happening at our gate. The first flight was cancelled, with no explanation. People started lining up at the desk to re-book flights and call the 800 number. We waited and waited for news on our flight, which was experiencing some kind of mysterious equipment failure that nobody could explain and that there was no information given on, until it became apparent that we, too, would have to re-book our connecting flight, as we were certainly going to miss our connection. Now, there were hundreds of people waiting on lines and calling the 800 number to re-book. By the time our flight finally took off, we had long missed our connecting flight. The only option was one that got us to our destination at 5 am. When we landed, we had to sit on the ground because there was no gate for us. When we got to baggage claim, our bags wouldn't come out because the baggage belt broke down! So, we had arrived at the airport in San Francisco at 9:30 AM for an 11:30 flight with a change of planes in Phoenix, that would put us in Orlando at 10:30 PM local time, and ended up leaving the Orlando airport at 6 AM. The topper? We had to pay a cab because we couldn't have a friend pick us up at that hour. American gave my husband and me each $200 as compensation, but only after we complained heavily. Do we really want to fly American again? An airline that serves no food, charges for bags, and has a reputation for scheduling and equipment problems? Only once - to use the $400. Then, never again.

Date of travel: August 2017
4  Thank valgale
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Very good flight. Excellent service from airport transport service (wheelchair) and both flight crews.
Very tired while traveling, they all took very good care of me.

Date of travel: October 2017
1  Thank 746marjoried
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Our flight was delayed about 4 hours and we had 3 gate changes but neither of these is what turned me off to American Airlines. It was the blatant disrespect by the staff. Everyone from the desk to the stewardess was just awfully rude. Not only to myself but to others. I witnessed an elderly woman go up to the gate desk and say "excuse me, I just have a question" and the woman at the desk just brushed by her and ignored her. She looked back at me and said: "well, geez, I just wanted to know where the closest bathroom was..."

Then the stewardess was literally on her cell phone for the entire flight and ignored the passengers. But the most infuriating was that they charged us for our bags, despite my boyfriend showing them his military ID. He showed this to United a week before and they were respectful and covered the checked bag charge but apparently, AA, or the foul-mood desk lady, doesn't give a crap about his service to our country.

Date of travel: October 2017