“Horrible customer service”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 16 October 2017

I have flown many airlines and I must say this is the first time I had such a horrible experience from the beginning to the end.
The first started at checking, we did our kiosk check in, but couldn’t get the tags for our luggage printed. An overzealous AA employee decided to dismiss the fact that I had already the tickets but was missing only the tags. She took it upon herself to redo everything by hand and while I was observing, she entered first the wrong name to the computer for my son, when I mentioned it to her, she told me that it was not important!! After entering the wrong name she did proceed to enter the wrong birthday, mistaking the expiration date of the passport for a birthday? My son who is 14 should have been 4 years old according to the date she put in there! After seeing that, I asked her to just let me go to the counter. It is very concerning to see a person supposed to help at the kiosk making so many mistakes, I had to wonder how many unsuspected people missed their flights because of the incompetence of such a person. In this day and age all documents should match in order to board a flight!

Nevertheless at the counter, we were not done with our ordeals. While getting our tags, another checking employee was insulting loudly an airport employee in front of all the customers. Her yelling seemed to be racially motivated, she was very derogatory talking to an Asian man, who was just trying to provide bins for the suitcases. She made everybody at counter feel uncomfortable, seeing a white woman who felt in a power position to shout at an older man that looked clearly lost and was intimated by her position. Him not speaking fluent English and being from a different race made the situation very awkward for all customers.

After all the horror we proceeded to the gate for boarding, we were part of group 7 and to our surprise at the gate we all have been told that we were not allowed to get our carry-on on board! I pleaded with the gate agent that we had medication and our son’s nebulizer in the carry-on, she couldn’t care less. We left the carry-on at the gate and have been told we will get it at our final destination, which was another surprise to us. The carry-on has usually been handed out the exit door. We managed somehow to get all the medication in our hands to carry it inside and to our big surprise all the overhead bins were empty!!!!! The ramp agent walked in and we asked her, why she made us take out everything and go through all the hassle when the flight had half the overhead bins empty? Her answer very rude and said aggressively ”this is not my problem, I have been told the overhead bins are full so stop complaining, and people in group 7 should not have any carry-on luggage.” It already appeared strange when at the check-in the announcement was made that people in boarding group 9 are not allowed to have carry-on luggage. Even if this was the case, we were still in group 7…
I was not aware that American airlines had a cast system for its customer, people who have rights and others with no rights at all! This whole experience seemed to confirm it from the beginning to the end.

The second flight from Phoenix to Denver, was not better either. I have watched how parents with babies had to wait for boarding with their infants. They could not have an early boarding like in any airline because they were in group 9. Normally parents with infants should be boarding before, but obviously not with AA.
Next to our row there was a 2 year old, upon landing not a single flight attendant walked around to check that all passengers were safely seated and had their seat belt buckled. The seat in front of us was not straightened up, and the 2 year old never had a sit belt on through landing. I was glad it was not a hard landing because the flight attendant were putting a passengers life in jeopardy by not doing their job.
I sent a letter to AA customer service and their answer was a custom response probably written by a robot.
Never again!

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (41,791)

Reviewed 16 October 2017

Our flight was on time, service was friendly and efficient, and the plane seemed very new, what more could you ask for on a short hop? Ground staff were helpful too, giving us bulkhead seats for more room when emergency exits were not available.

1  Thank OpaMarnie
Reviewed 16 October 2017

We ended up this year with a bunch of SPG points that were about to expire. So we converted them to American Airline miles! Soooo much better than losing them :-) SPG adds in a bump and American Air does the same so you end up with 30% more miles than you convert in points. Such a great way to travel - hotel on points AND airfare.... certainly can't get better than that.

1  Thank RHD H
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Excellent flight. Uneventful. Steward was a great guy;,friendly and polite. Nice voice. Good fir for the job. Pilot was great. Thank a God for a safe trip. I would recommend Anmerican Airlines. Thanks.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

The bad notice was you have to pay for the luggage you are traveling with , They told me it is not included and are $25 Dlls each bag ,and you are there , pass your CCard , cause cash is not acceoted , So bad ! were 2 round trip $ 100 Dlls , The employees most of them seems like they are angry at front desk , the crew not all when they are giving food looks tired , with an smile , We lost our flight at DFW airport because of the fault of their too short connection and security points , The crew doesnt explain good where you can claim your luggage etc , we have to stay and pay hotel wirh our money for this incovenience , so bad trip !!