“flying to Fort Lauderdale”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 9 August 2016

My husband and I flew round trip from Moline, Illinois to Fort Lauderdale this past week. There were several legs to our travels, but I am only reviewing the final leg of our journey to get back to Moline. The final flight on american eagle, which was only a 25 minute flight was the most enjoyable. I must commend the flight attendant on his smile and constant humor through out the flight! His name was Gary and he actually must enjoy his job, which is rare! I have had very few flights that I can say I enjoyed my time there. On top of it all, he gave us an entire can of soda !!!!! I want to thank Gary and when someone from American Airlines reads this, please give Gary a raise!! He deserves a little more compensation for the hard work that he does!

Date of travel: August 2016
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (51,374)

Reviewed 9 August 2016

This was a round-trip flight from Philadelphia and back. Initially, my suitcase was lost upon arrival and the delivery service American used took four days to deliver it. On the long return flight, my daughter's on-board entertainment screen was broken, so the captain allowed us to move to two open seats so we had screens that worked. Unfortunately, mine quit working two hours before arrival, leaving me completely bored during that time. Seems like American needs to do some upgrades on their onboard entertainment systems and maybe get a new delivery service in the London area, that one stinks! My return flight to Buffalo was also about four hours later than scheduled!

Date of travel: July 2016
Reviewed 9 August 2016

In one trip, American Airlines managed to do something that no hotel has ever done - convince me NEVER to fly with them again. They simply don't care once they have your money.

I'll keep it brief, but in this one trip their incompetence in bookings and customer service cost us a lot of time and money.

First, the flight was delayed on its first leg to Chicago, so we rebooked our connections. When we got to Chicago, they had re-booked us onto a flight the NEXT DAY with a different airline - that show faith in their own operation - and CANCELLED the changes I'd made, making us miss a whole day of our holiday. Would they do anything about it ? No. We'd booked a "cheap ticket" so we were scum.

They put us up in a hotel half an hour away from the airport, and the meal voucher wasn't able to be used in the hotel as we were too late.

During our stay we had an air miles flight with Hawaiian airlines, paid for with American Airlines miles I tried checking in online, couldnt, so I went to the airport (as I was already worried). The "ticket" hadnt been paid for by American Airlines, who insisted (wrongly) that they had sent me a paper ticket and without it I could not travel. They said "talk to AA at the airport". There was no one as they had no flights until the next day, after our flight was to leave. A check in agent for the partner airline spent an hour on the phone to them and got nowhere. We had to buy new flights. I've tried getting AA to talk to us and refund me since, and they ignore us. They wont talk on the phone, they say "email us" (in less than 1500 characters!), then ignore you. Unbelievable. I have taken my case to the complaints department of the UK Civil Aviation Authority. They are ignoring them too ! What chance do you have. They simply don't care.

Before our flight home, I checked our seats. We had been moved seven rows apart in the worst seats possible, even though I had booked them before we left. I spoke to them again (more time wasted in our holiday) - Oh, because the outward flight was delayed, they had "cancelled" our ticket, and when they re-booked it, we lost our seats. This they fixed, rather sheepishly.

Seriously, I would rather pay £100s more than ever go near them again. It's NOT worth the hassle dealing with this level of incompetence and lack of care.

I've done almost 500 Trip advisor reviews - this is my first 1 star review ever. They dont even deserve the one star. The flight itself was ok, but the customer service was diabolical.

Date of travel: October 2015
Reviewed 9 August 2016

Have flown this airline twice a year to Cancun, MX over the last 25 years; the last 5 years flying business class.

Business class affords you shorter lines when checking in at the airport; no baggage fees; no fee for over-the-limit baggage weight; priority boarding, and several other amenities while in flight.

For the most part, flight attendants are very attentive; with only a few over the last few years who should have retired long ago. Most of the crew is very professional and seem to actually care that your flight is a pleasant one.

I would suggest updating the plane so that business class travelers have personal TVs rather than the out-of-date shared video monitor; once in a while, the plane that arrives at the terminal is a newer one, but that seems to be random.

Food isn't bad; sometimes very good; should consider varying the menu; same old same old every time we travel.

All in all, no big complaints.

Date of travel: June 2016
1  Thank LoyalCancunFan
Reviewed 9 August 2016

Very friendly, Check in was flawless, the flight crew was great. out of Chicago to seattle with even a bump. Highly recommend you check out American for your next travels

Date of travel: May 2016