“NYC to Bari, Italy”
Review of Alitalia

Reviewed 7 May 2019

We flew from JFK airport, metropolitan New York area, to Bari, Italy, with a connecting flight in Rome. Both flights were on time. We had about about a 2 hour layover in Rome. The airport was very nice, with lots of shopping, restaurants, and clean restrooms. Flight attendants were pleasant and the food was good (for airline food!). The airport in Bari was small and easy to navigate. Did the same trip home in reverse. All went well and on time again. No complaints!

• Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (19,977)

Reviewed 7 May 2019

I be a tour leader and travel agent who bring a group for a tour in London
On-board staff available and competent but scarce food. For a medium-range flight only a drink and a small snack
It was a light tariff that only included hand baggage on board and instead all my group had the benefit of loading all the luggage in the hold free of charge

Date of travel: May 2019
Reviewed 7 May 2019

Good flight information, nice weather conditions, short flight, plane ok, food average, service acceptable

Date of travel: September 2018
1  Thank 14magdia
Reviewed 7 May 2019

Few days before our trip to Italy, we received an email from Alitalia saying our premium economy seats will be downgraded to regular economy due to change of plane. Having no choice, we accepted the downgrade. One comforting thought was at least we will still fly premium on our way back, because even lightning won’t strike twice...

The day of our return at Rome airport, the clerk spent almost half an hour checking us in. We knew something went wrong. Finally, we were told our plane has been changed and we will be downgraded to regular economy...As courtesy, and maybe out of sympathy, they offer to take us to the lounge to relax while they find us the best seats possible. But who could relax at this point? Finally we were given new boarding passes and the agent reassured us that these were the best she could find... As a result of this last minute change, all passengers had to take shuttle buses to reach the plane. When we finally board the plane, we realized that we were given the last row seats. You know, those that are right next to the toilets and won’t fully recline? Ready to take off? Oh no! How could they depart without waiting for 2 more passengers! 30 minutes AFTER our scheduled takeoff time, the plane finally started taxing. While it might be relieving for the other passengers that they are finally on their way home, we lucky last row seaters had to endure almost 9 hours of toilet flushing and seats that will not go all the way back.

End of our nightmare? Think again! One week after we got home, I received my e-statement from Alitalia. The miles from the disastrous flights are NOT credited to my Millemiglia account. Naturally I went online to request missing miles. Although their website offers such option, don’t expect it to work. Finally I decided to contact their customer service and was given an email address to send copies of my passport and my boarding passes. I did. A day later, I received an email from that address saying this is NOT the place to send such information and asked me to go online or call the customer service to request missing miles. Are you enjoying this so far? C’mon, how can you not?! So I called the customer service again. Only this time I was given a completely different email address to send my info. When asked why I was given the other email address before, this Albania based rep simply said he doesn’t know and he is not responsible for staff training. How lovely! When asked about a supervisor, I was told there IS NONE. Period! I guess Alitalia customer service reps all train and manage themselves. What an excellent company to work for! In the end, this self-managed gentleman did give me another email address to send my complaints to. I did. Only 2 days later, I received an obvious robot generated responses starting with “Dear customer...” and asked me to fill out the attached PDF form in order for them to process my claims faster. Think I will fall for this trick again? Well, think again.

1  Thank rogercnyc
Reviewed 7 May 2019 via mobile

I cannot provide a review on the flight itself because we didn't fly - Alitalia cancelled our booking.

I have booked a flight from Munich to Havana with a 1 hr stopover in Rome via Alitalia websites. I paid online more than 900 pounds. The money were deducted from my card but I didn't receive any flight confirmation to my email, so I decided to call the customer service line the next day.

I was told there was a problem with my flight I booked on their websites - the stopover is too short and therefore they have to cancel my booking. In order to cancel the booking, I was told to call the UK customer service. So I did.
The guy on the line told me the lady on the Italian CS was wrong - 1 hr stopover should be sufficient. Then I was hanging 10 mins on the line waiting for the guy to come back to me with the information that the 1-hr stopover is really insufficient. After that, they cancelled my booking and advised I should receive the refund in 2-3 weeks! To be honest, I wasn't happy about it at all as I wanted to use the money for other fly tickets.

It has been 3 weeks today and I still don't have my money back. I called the customer service again and the lady told me the guy was wrong - it can take more than a month to get the refund!

So here I am waiting for my 920 pounds and complaining about the terrible Alitalia services. First, their websites allowed me to book an "invalid" flight. Second, the money were deducted instead of just a simple error message. Third, the customer service people weren't familiar with the terms and conditions of the company they work for. Fourth, 3 weeks have passed but I don't have my money. That makes it one of the worst services I have experienced in my life.

2  Thank ZuzanaCh
US$USD
Ireland
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.