“Probably the best long distance airline”
Review of Air New Zealand

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I boarded the plane at 5 pm. When I got on, the attendants were already at work, they lead our way. During the flight, we experienced high turbulence, despite the plane being tilted by 5 degrees, the pilot managed to get out of the turbulence, the attendants were positive and continued their job as usual. However, it would be nice if the chairs could be lowered a bit more as you can barely sleep on the plane for an 11-hour flight.

The seat was decent, it was hard but still comfortable, I only wished I can relax my legs better.

WiFi was kind of expensive (expected because New Zealand doesn't have cheap wifi), the films, music was more than enough, would be cool if they added more classics etc.

The flight attendants were the most important part of this trip, they cared for us, asked us if we needed anything. They really made a difference to the flight. The plane was clean, at least if you look at it, there are some stains on the pillows and blankets though. Would be nice if there were more lines at the gate. The food was decent, but the way they deliver needs to be improved, the tray is too small.

The flight was decently expensive but it was totally worth it.

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (9,731)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great early morning flight. Check-in and boarding was good and flight left on time. flight was comfortable and the crew did and excellent job.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Always good to fly Air New Zealand. The air crew are always excellent and fun. Flight was good although my wife and I were over flying as this was forth and final leg of of trip from Prague.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I traveled from Christchurch to Phuket, Thailand on an Air New Zealand ticket. As a Gold Airpoints member I am entitled to two checked bags. I rang Air NZ beforehand to double check it would be OK to take two bags on my holiday to Phuket, and was reassured this would be OK.

At check-in at Phuket Airport prior to my Silk Air flight to Singapore I was very annoyed that I was forced to pay an excess baggage fee of US$150 (NZ$235) for my second checked bag. Check in staff were very unsympathetic. It was explained that Silk Air (despite being an offshoot of Singapore Airlines) is not a member of the Star Alliance.

Naturally this was a very unpleasant surprise which put a dampener on my holiday experience. I complained to Air New Zealand but they took no responsibility for the false information they gave me prior to my travel, and offered no recompense.

Date of travel: November 2018
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
1  Thank chriscollins61
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Before I start I should mention that although I bought my flight with air New Zealand it was operated by Singapore airlines.

This was my first flight alone, ant my first long haul so I was very anxious about the whole thing.

Checking in with my E-ticket and E-visa was a nightmare to be honest. As I arrived I was ushered by staff to use a self check in machine- this wouldn't work and despite asking several staff members to help me I still had no success. Finally I asked a staff member who was able to help, he explained that the reason the self check in wouldn't work is because I had an E-visa, and I would need to get in line to use the assisted check in- not a problem, in fact I felt more comfortable doing this- but it would have been nice to have been advised of this either through communications prior to my flight date or by someone on arrival; that way I wouldn't have spent 30 anxiety ridden minutes trying over and over again on a machine that Was never going to work for me. I'm not sure if this is the fault of the airline or the airport but I felt it's worth a mention.

Boarding and getting to my seat all went smoothly, everything was on time.
I was a little disappointed not to have a window seat after selecting this an option when buying my tickets, but I appreciate that there are a limited number. Also I was given a seat at the front of the cabin where I had more leg room than I knew what to do with, so that definitely made up for not having the window seat.

A blanket and pillow was provided for the journey and my seat was able to recline a little too- this made it very easy to sleep during the journey.
Also free earphones were provided for the entertainment system- this is a bonus as I know lots of airlines charge extra for them!
Toothbrushes, toothpaste And flight socks were handed out in little zip pouches which was a nice touch.

Good recent films were available to watch for free on the entertainment system and I managed to watch a film that I had been looking forward to seeing.

There were plenty of toilets on the plane and they were all clean and well stocked with the necessities.

The staff were helpful and friendly, and they attended very soon I pushed the button on several occasions ( I take medication which gives me a very dry mouth so I was constantly after a drink).

The food wasn't wonderful but definitely edible, it certainly beat my expectations of aeroplane food anyway. There were options available for any kind of dietary requirements which is good.

All in all the flight was a pleasant experience and I would happily fly with ANZ and Singapore airlines again.

Date of travel: November 2018