“Brilliant then a nightmare”
Review of Air France

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had special assistance for my trip to Bordeaux, but was disappointed that I couldn’t fly direct so had to change terminals and flights in Paris and even though I was flying with Air France for both sections of the journey, the time from arrival and departure in Paris was only one hour. The special assistance from Newcastle to Paris was brilliant. Air France staff member, Clare, in Newcastle was brilliantly helpful. The plane was late in leaving but made up time on the journey, so anxiety about being in time for connection was allayed immediately upon arrival. However, special assistance people ( there were three of us) were taken off the plane and put sitting in a room and we were told to wait. We waited, and waited and waited and no one came for about twenty five minutes. I mentioned the time of my connection, but the helper just shrugged. We were eventually put into a mini bus and seemed to go endlessly round the airport, finally stopping to let a member of staff off. Off we went again on this cruise around the airport and finally stopped at a gate in the correct terminal, but not mine. It was for the other special assistance passenger whose plane was due to leave later than mine. By this time I knew my connection must have left, but when the driver of the mini bus became aware of my concern, he told me that my flight had been delayed. From then on I seemed to be passed from one person to another and then finally met John who took me to the gate. In fact, I was left there, sitting in a wheelchair for some considerable time because the connecting flight was delayed by three and a half hours. I had had a very simple, not very nice, snack on the plane from Newcastle, but neither anything to eat or drink until I was on the flight to Bordeaux. That flight was alright once it got going, but I was left to see to myself on arrival, being told the distance out was fairly short. I don’t think I will fly with Air France again.

Write a ReviewReviews (22,268)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Air France used to have a great tradition but it has lived way too much on it. I have travelled in the last two weeks to New York from Paris and from Rio de Janeiro to Paris just yesterday. The first two of the planes were 777-200s while the last one was a 777-300. I do not know how old were these planes were. But the first one felt really really old. The second one was at best average, while the third one was clearly below average. And these planes were nevertheless full. Incredible? At least very very strange. I prefer to stop here my rendition of the terrible decline of what used to be a flamboyant company, Air France.

1  Thank Yves B
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Plane was outdated and extremely cramped. Especially not happy with extra wide arm rest as it made me feel even more cramped. Tv screens very small with few choices compared to other airlines plus multiple reboots giving downtime of 40+ minutes. Service was good and food was better than average for economy. Dirty lavatories.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

From the time we approached the service desk to check our bags til we stepped off the airplane, we were treated like we were special. This airline is run expertly and like a fine oiled machine with all the parts working. The staff were friendly, helpful, cheerful and the whole trip made me decide to always fly Air France when I have the option. Viva La Air France

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There were no direct flights from Washington, DC to Athens, Greece so we had a connecting flight through Paris. Since it was going to be a long flight, we decided to splurge on Business class in the hopes we would be able to get some sleep on the flight. The day before departure, we received an email from Air France indicating that the aircraft from Paris to Greece no longer will accommodate Business class travel and therefore we were being bumped to Economy. There was no explanation for the change or what we needed to do to get a refund since we paid for Business class. Both my husband and I called Air France and were told to contact customer service AFTER our flight to request a refund. We also learned from that phone call that even though we had selected our seats to be together at the time of making our reservation, they could no longer accommodate our seat request and we would be sitting separately.

The flight out of Washington, DC was delayed. We sat on the plane for almost 2 hours while the plane we being refueled. Because we were so late to take off, we arrived late in Paris. We had to run to make our connecting flight. When we got on the aircraft to Athens, we discovered there was indeed a small section for Business class travelers. We could not understand why we weren't put in that section since we paid for Business class. Instead, we were sat separately in the very back of the plane. One seat was in the last row against a wall so the seat could not recline.

When we arrived in Athens, we discovered our luggage was not on the plane. Air France as able to locate our luggage and we were told it would be on the next flight out of Paris. We decided to wait at the airport for the plane to arrive so we could get our luggage otherwise, Air France could not guarantee our luggage would be delivered to our hotel that night. Because we waited at the airport for our luggage to arrive, we missed meeting the driver we had arranged to take us to our hotel. We were charged $100 from the car service company because the driver spent time at the airport waiting for us.

This was our first time flying Air France and we were not impressed. We experienced multiple problems. We have been back from our vacation almost 2 months and we are still waiting for a response from Air France re: refunding us the ticket price for Business class vs Economy. Their system for filing a complaint/claim is all automated. You can try to contact customer service, but they aren't much help and instruct you to fill out a online claim.