“A Wonderful Product with Attentive Crew”
Review of Air France

Reviewed 15 January 2018

We spent the holidays in Europe and decided to break up our flights to get a direct flight to and from each destination. We've flown Air France La Premier class before and the first time we did it it was wonderful, but it was not really something that compared to other products from European carriers. Our last flight on Air France was in the fall of 2015 (and it was a flight from Israel to LAX with a stop in Paris to relax after hectic holidays) and I knew Air France was good, but I was not expected that they would be as good as they've become.

Like our previous review of British Airways, I think it is safe to say that European airlines realize that it is probably fairly easy to fill planes to the capitals of Europe during the busiest travel times of the year, but it is not as easy to make people say that the product rivals that of the 'standard setter' in the market (I think Lufthansa is that standard) and it has become what I compare other airlines to when it comes to flying.

La Premier is everything it is advertised to be and is (was) a wonderful experience for us. From the time we arrived at CDG to the time we left LAX (with the helpful Air France staff member helping us through the process the whole way) - every expectation was met and every advertised "perk" was achieved. Nothing was left to chance and there was nothing to do except to wait for the flight in the lounge at CDG and then - moments before the flight was ready to leave - be taken to the plane, settled in, and airborne in what seemed like mere minutes.

This was not the first time I used Air France as the airline of choice, but it was my boyfriend's first time on the airline and he loved it. He'd never flown in La Premier (he's never flown Air France) and we were lucky to take a joint vacation that had nothing to do with going anywhere other than London and Paris. We flew home on a wonderful flight in a nearly-empty cabin with an attentive staff who made sure we were comfortable the whole way.

While there is little an airline can do if they are mere tenant airlines at major airports (like my review of British Airways at LAX), CDG is obviously built for Air France and there was no worry that somebody was going to jump the line and get served before those of us who paid for the service of getting in and out of every aspect of the flight quickly. Air France thought of everything and we were provided wonderful treatment by everybody on the ground.

In the air, we could not have asked for anything more and it would really be hard for me to point to anything that could be better. Everything from the seats to the food to never wanting for anything the entire flight was thought of. If there was ONE thing I would do it would be to ask the flight attendants to stop people from traveling to the cabin to take photos when we were in the air. I don't know the purpose of taking pictures on the ground or of all the Instagram pictures of the airline that exist out there with hashtags galore (maybe that is a product of my age), but if people are sleeping or relaxing and we've been in the air for a few hours it is distracting when people decide to walk though to grab a snap of the cabin.

I know people are interested in products and maybe they'll take it one day, but until they do, I really think they should make sure that everybody is in the cabin that they paid to be in and certainly if people do wander, people should be asked not to take pictures of sleeping passengers.

On arrival to the United States we were met by a lovely person who helped us from arrival until we got our bags and out to the waiting car. We were taken to our hotel (where we would ring in the new year), but the Air France representative never left us and it made things go a bit faster than if we were schlepping things through the airport on our own.

I think my first Tweet on arrival was how wonderful the person was who helped us and just how great La Premier has become. I don't flatter for the sake of flattery, but if you are going to France or flying from CDG and LAX is your destination - everybody here will help you and they will make sure that your flight and your experience is as first class as you expect.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (22,384)

Reviewed 15 January 2018

Business class AF a380 is not the most comfortable configuration. But the catering is one of the best (american airlines is a stabdard). Good wines and rather good food compensates the lack of room and the absennce of 180 degree recline.

Reviewed 15 January 2018

Transit connection from long haul flight. Due to times the codeshare was operated by Flybe. Not the best experience with rude staff, half the menu not available, hassle with people bringing too much hand luggage, poor food and drink

Reviewed 15 January 2018

I've written countless reviews and none of them are this negative and hopefully other people will have a better time than we did.

We were travelling to Hong Kong to join a cruise to celebrate my husband's 65th, so chose to fly premium economy thinking it would be a little more special - not a cheap option over the Christmas period!!!!

The flight back was okay, but going was a disaster. Everything might sound like a first world problem, but when you've paid a fairly hefty surcharge for extra perks...

Our original first leg flight changed, so we had to go on an earlier flight, meaning flying with Flybe. No priority check in (it took three attempts and a lot of waiting to get it right). No priority security (sent to the back of the queue again). No priority boarding.

On arrival at Charles de Gaulle, we were refused entry to the airport lounge in Paris where we had a 4 hour layover, even though our tickets allowed us paid entry. Not a great start to what we wanted to be a memorable holiday.

The airplane was 2-4-2 and we ended up in the middle seats with people either side, meaning we had to disturb someone if we wanted to get out. The food was very mediocre - on the way back I asked for one thing and got another. One good thing was that the noise cancelling headphones are quite good and we enjoyed watching some French films and listening to some French music.

I shan't be rushing back to use Air France Premium Economy anytime soon.

Reviewed 15 January 2018

I always make a point to Fly Air France. Their service and planes are superior plus they just appreciate you flying their airline.