“Worst Flight Ever”
Review of Air China

Reviewed 18 January 2018

Let me start off by complimenting you for the good value for money service provided during my Flights from Singapore to Beijing and Beijing to New York on 14th December. For the cheap fair I paid, the flying experience wasn't bad.

However, the same cannot be said for my return flight from New York to Beijing on 7th January 2018 and Beijing to Singapore on 9th January 2018. My experiences were horrible. I will list the issues below:

1. I reached the JFK Airport at 12.30 pm on 7th January to to check in for my flight CA972, which was scheduled to depart at 3.50 pm. The check in process was messy and chaotic. There was no clear organized way and I was only able to check in a few minutes before the departure time. Quite a number of Passengers were still to be checked in after me and I believe that this was the reason the flight got delayed.

2. First, we were told that the flight got delayed for 2 hours. This was acceptable. We were also given 20 dollars worth of meal vouchers, which wasn't bad. Then, for no clear reason, our flight got delayed by almost 12 hours and we only took off at 4 am the next day. We were not given any further meal vouchers after the first one. The delay time was ridiculous. I would surely miss my connecting flight to Singapore

3. The flight was actually pleasant and I reached Beijing at 8 am local time on the 9th of January. The employees at the Air China Transfer Counter changed my ticket to Singapore on another flight 8 hours later. I was tired and asked if they had will be offering any hotel. They did. However, instead of directing me to get a 1 day Visa in beijing, they directed me to international transit. They told me that I would be able to find Air China employees there (inside the transit area) who would help me to with the hotel.

All these time, I could hear them cursing in Chinese, muttering under their breath. I am not Chinese (South Asian), but understand the Chinese swear words from my stay in Singapore. When I confronted them about it, the became very rude and started avoiding me. Frustrated, I left for the transit area. Once I got in, I could not find any Air China personnel in the Transit area. I was stuck there tired with no hotel or food or lounge access. I could not go back out to confront those employees.

The flight back to Singapore was pleasant. But they forgot to update my Kosher meal preference. I was too frustrated at that point to even respond. It had been 2 days on the road and I just wanted to come back home.

Being a brown person with a weak passport, I am used to bad flight experiences. But this tops it all. So far this is my worst experience ever. I have nothing against the in-flight crews. They were super nice. But the Air China ground people in Beijing were extremely racist, rude and intentionally unhelpful. I was seduced by their low fares, but I will not be flying Air China ever again.

6  Thank fardin77
Write a ReviewReviews (3,886)

Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

Customer service is awful it’s nearly impossible to use the app and no one can speak English we booked as family and couldn’t even get seats together on the plane. We had to transfer at Beijing which was nightmare no clear instructions on where to go and then trying to ask was nearly impossible. Beijing airport is very poor to rude staff and security. You can not use mobile device in flight mode I’m not sure why this is has most airlines are fine with it. The food on the plane is poor I would recommend bringing you own if you have to fly with this airline. I would recommend avoiding using this airline even if it’s cheaper then the rest I would rather pay the extra then be treat like headless chicken with air china.

1  Thank Alex M
Reviewed 17 January 2018

service was good but the food was bad. very crowded. no leg rooms. but hey i was flying economy so i should not complain

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Flying what would have been an early 777 with no charge ports for devices, Air China is simply not up to international standards.
No amenities packs (although not very important) but only one bottle of 'Great Wall' red wine for the whole section at mealtimes and only beer and juice during the rest of the flight - no coffee offered and when it was asked for I got unmixed instant in luke warm water and made to feel as though it was an unusual request.
The service is pretty poor with unappetising Chinese fare out of Beijing (I normally like Chinese food) - Of particular note was the male attendant on the return journey on January 8th (CA 731?) who was simply expressionless and presented the platter to people while looking the other way.
All this and finding that we were seated 2 rows apart when boarding, in spite of having accurate preseating confirmation of seats together. (I have to add that one female attendant was very helpful in correcting the situation, but it involved inconveniencing other passengers who were not impressed)
We chose Air China for the 12 hr stopover in Beijing to get our heads down -the Ibis Hotel at Shenyi was brilliant but Beijing Airport is a bureaucratic mess when getting off airport. 2 hrs queuing to get 24 hr visa and get out through Customs (incredibly rude)
Nobody at the airport gives a damn, little english and we were twice directed to the wrong floors when asking simple directions to get our visas.
We are seasoned travellers so basically know the ropes but this trip was a monster! (and not particularly cheap)
Patricia

3  Thank Patricia A
Reviewed 16 January 2018

We flew Air China from Brisbane to Tokyo through Beijing. I had not been aware that mobile devices would be banned from use during the entire flight (iPads are OK) and was stuck using an antiquated in-flight entertainment system with a confusing and unforgiving interface for a 10 hr flight. The food is average. On the plus side, the flight attendants are very friendly and the seating is comfortable.