“Worst Ever Flight Experience To China”
Review of Air China

Reviewed 20 November 2017

As a tour director I've been in the seat of many SE Asia airlines and this experience was the worst. From the counter in LA where no one could understand their flight announcements, to the least English-proficient crew I've flown with anywhere, it was a mess. The crew rushed through the aisles bumping seated passengers, the food was MSG laced "Pork and noodles" for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Wines were one off brand, same with beer - no hard liquor. During a 14 hour light the "attendants" came through the aisle with water once. This service obviously does not want Westerners travelling with them, and I for one, think that would be a good idea! Avoid them!

3  Thank Dan R
Write a ReviewReviews (3,985)

Reviewed 19 November 2017

Non-stop from Los Angeles to Beijing and back. Since this flight combo also included a leg from Shanghai to Beijing in First Class much of the quality one experiences is in the type of plane. Long flights were on the new Boeing 777-300 but the Shanghai to Beijing flight was on an older 777-200. Can't say anything about that entertainment system because there was none on that plane, just the screens at the front of the cabin and drop downs.

Lounges in LAX and PEK and SHA were all comparable with lots of snacks, food and good Wi-Fi.

Ticket counters all had express lines for Business class and Beijing had express security also. Nice feature.

Complaints about the food being essentially too Chinese on Air China is rather laughable. Flight staff are very polite, and bathrooms are really clean with lots of freshen up lotions and potions provided.

Ticket Prices fabulous.

Entertainment was not the best for me. Too much Chinese material. Ha ha ha. Actually the movies are not high definition. I figured licensing fees are the issue. I don't watch DVD quality shadow boxed films. Can't concentrate. Documentary programing was high definition, however. That supports my thesis.

No real complaints.

I can compare with United BClass to Singapore on a 787. Equal caliber but the Western cuisine, newness of the 787 and features are hard to beat. United Ticket counter not as organized in SFO airport.

3  Thank Cameron_Sn
Reviewed 19 November 2017

Flew from San Francisco to Beijing, returning from Shanghai.
Poor customer service.
First of all, the phone lines were deploringly unavailable. Extensive wait times (1+ ,` 2+ hours on hold with need for frequent periodic pushing of prompts or be immediately disconnected. ) The U.S. lines (I called 5 times) were staffed by barely comprehensible agents. I was disconnected twice after holding for an hour each time.
The airline food was worse than your normal unappetising airline food. The bathrooms needed more frequent cleaning and deodorizing for these long TransPacific flights. Apparently only those who had booked directly with Air China could check in online or by phone. We were not told that, resulting in a "no ticket found" notice on line. This information should be displayed on their website but was not. The attendants just roughly pushed you aside if they wanted to get by. "Excuse me" is not known.
The personnel were simply not helpful or friendly. Performed their basic function but that was all. Did not feel welcome.
Would choose another airline if there was a choice. Unfortunately, our tickets were booked by the travel agency as part of a group tour.

1  Thank VistaGina
Reviewed 19 November 2017

We have flown Air China a few times now and have always had excellent service. The flight attendants are very nice and extremely accommodating. The food was good (as good as airplane food can be) and was always hot when served. We flew Economy once and then Business Class the other times and had great customer service each time. My luggage missed my connection and when we got to the luggage counter in Shanghai, they had already been notified by the staff in Beijing and it was going to be put on the morning flight. The next morning it arrived just as they had told us it would be.

Reviewed 17 November 2017

On my way back from Gimpo, South Korea, to Los Angeles via Beijing, on November 16, 2017, I find that one of 2 bags I had checked in had not arrived in Los Angeles. I know it had departed Gimpo because in South Korea, they require passengers visually verify luggage going thru conveyer belt in display monitor and I did verify my 2 bags going thru conveyer belt.

In Los Angeles, Air China representative at luggage carrousel (number 10 on Nov. 16, 2017) told me possibly reason why bags go missing is because tag on bag may become detached. I did not have my personal tag with name and contact info on bags. They gave me this report sheet and told me they would contact me if and when bag is found. I left LAX but went back and talked to another Air China representative because I was so upset about it.

Hours later, they called me to say bag was found and that it'll delivered at my house next day, November 17, 2017, which they did. I had this cheap small lock on bag zipper. Upon inspection, lock appeared intact. When I opened bag, there was blue cartoon note saying U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) had opened bag and inspected bag at request of carrier, and upon inspection, it had been returned to carrier. Meaning CBP opened lock, inspected contents, and then closed the lock..

This means Air China purposely did what they did and had not told me what was going on. I wasted time and had my stress level gone up without know what was going on simply due to stupid Air China conduct of keeping customer in dark. Air China should have told me what was going on.

2  Thank J T