“Getting worse”
Review of Air China

Reviewed 13 October 2017

One of the worse company I ever flight with. Service onboard was terrible. The transfer at Shanghai airport was quite complicated and time spending. Too pity, since I was used to flight quite often with this company and I enjoy the flights and services.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (3,608)

Reviewed 13 October 2017

The website doesn't work. It either sends error messages or changes to Chinese mid navigation. So I called the toll free number. 3 different agents hung up on me. I just want to give them some money to upgrade my seat.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Seats seemed a little cramped and uncomfortable. Marginal in-flight entertainment. Ran out popular food choice.....still not sure what I was served. Didn't have or never offered Adult beverage.
Cheap fare. No comparison to the Delta flight on the same route. Recommend paying more for Delta.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

Going to the Philippines:

There is something many chinese have a problem understanding, a happy customer comes back, thankfully the crew didn't have that problem and my trip with them were very pleasant with two exceptions, not many of them speak english and they don't seem to understand why wheelchair passengers(my mother) should be the first to board the plane and the last to leave(that one they got right), but then again, many airlines have this problem.

The ground crew(asigned to Air China) at Beijing airport, in charge of helping people with disabilities, don't speak english at all, and I tried talking to many of them and even managers/supervisor - the only way I could communicate with them were one flight attendant that spoke a bit english and one waitress from a restaurant in the waiting area - remind me to put an translate app on my phone, because I doubt this will change in any near future(non-english personel is cheaper). It's the same problem in Hong Kong airport(not as bad as Beijing though).

In order to use Wi-Fi, in Beijing airport, you need to scan your passport in a machine and get a ticket, unfortunately the machine were out of paper and never got to work, because of the language problem - so my 11 hour lay over in Beijing airport were Wi-Fi free - not so good since I needed to communicate with with the people waiting for us in Manila.

You would think that a company like Air China would think about making sure there were at least one english spoken person present, to care for their international customers with disabilities. Arriving in Manila airport were more pleasant than the stay in Beijing, here people at least speak english.

Returning from the Philippines:

Again, the experience with the flight crew were pleasant, but as I stated before, they don't understand the reason that a wheelchair passenger should board the plane first before anyone else, and not have to wait for people to move or sit down or stumble over suitcases/bags on the floor.

I can't believe that the airline it unaware of this rule, especially since any injury caused by this will cost them a fortune in damages, but think that it's the flight crew that is unaware - but again the airline is the one responsible for the flightcrews education.

Air China is resposible for informing the passengers of any special consideration or change in normal airport procedure, like which things are not allowed through the airport security or onboard the plane. Unfortunately Air China neglected to inform me and the other passengers that Powerbanks without mAh stamped/labelled on the Powerbank and lighters were not allowed through Airport security, who then confiscated my Powerbank and when I complained I were sent to an supervisor who right out refused to give me a receipt for my Powerbank and dismissed my objections.
I have travelled for years through many other airports with this Powerbank and never had any problem.

When I arrived in Denmark I contacted Air China and asked for them to re-imburse me for the Powerbank. That were in the start of june, we are now in october and to this day they have still not resolved the issue, nor given me any reason for not contacting me - they seem think that if they stay quiet then this case will go away.

That is really bad service.

3  Thank Jan J
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Check in at JFK took forever, though ultimately with a friendly staff person. Take note: for some odd reason, they now make you remove luggage straps from baggage (why?). Lounge is by Lufthansa, which was good. I was on the upper deck of a 747 on a flight with very few passengers, so that was great. Seat was very comfortable. Video selection so sparse I did not even bother with the headphones - nothing to watch. Staff were very attentive and tried their best, with limited English (my bad, I have no Chinese). Food was the worst - tasteless, served cold, and I got sick after the flight (still experiencing stomach cramps as I write this) and I now wonder if they gave me tap water to drink, or if their cold food did this? I would advise you only drink bottled or canned drinks during the flite, and avoid their meals if you can. Security check at Beijing was appallingly slow and bureaucratic, I had a two hour layover but with the delays at passport and security, I had to move quickly to my gate to board flight to Manila. Business class seats on that flight are not lie-flat, and again, ridiculous video selection and mediocre food. But friendly and professional crew, I must say. I would fly again due to the convenient itinerary (JFK-PEK-MNL), but would pack my own food and bring lots of magazines. DON'T DRINK THE WATER!

2  Thank markKTM