“Bad for business or pleasure”
Review of Air Canada

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

My employer sends me with either Air Canda or West Jet to Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg in business/premium economy class. I've also flown them personally from South Korea in economy. I always shudder when I see my tickets are booked with AC over West Jet. Thier app rarely works for early check in, they often don't have a kosher meal onboard, despite ordering when booking and calling a few days before to confirm. Attendants are really hit or miss (rude or dismissive). With West Jet, Asiana, and Korean Air I can always bank on steller service and pleasant attendants. Also some of the dirtiest planes I've been on were with AC. Power outlet and in flight entertainment systems are frequently broken or not working, and they charge for wifi on domestic flights! $7 for 30 minutes? Give me a break. The only reason I gave 2 stars is that once and a while I get a pleasant cabin crew. You can keep your useless areoplan miles too.

4  Thank Benjallen
Write a ReviewReviews (17,936)

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

Having been awarded Best airline in North America seem to have gone to their heads but actually mean nothing. Boarding in Hong Kong was delayed, arrival in Vancouver was delayed, departure to Yyc delayed and arrival delayed. The dinner on Flight from Hong Kong was disgusting to say the least. Service practically non existent. Rather strive to be on par with airlines like Air New Zealand, KLM or Lufthansa before resting on your laurels. I’m avoiding Air Canada along with other North American Airlines like the plague.

4  Thank Casper V
Reviewed 23 November 2017

This has to be the worst airline ever, unless you want to spend your vacation naked don’t use them...they put you on a sardine can of what they call a airplane, it was a Air bus of 140 passengers. But the incompetent morons managed to loose 37 people luggage, they say after 24 hrs you can buy yourself necessities and clothing, that’s all good if you have allocated that into,your vacation budget and then submit receipts to get a refund...hahah ask a cuba vendor for a receipt, good luck, and when you explain that to this airline they basically say bend over cuz you just got screwed. ...I could understand one day or even 2. But on the third day of basking in the Cuban sun smelling ripe and now sun burned all to hell we had no choice but to replace stuff, and to come home and be told over and over to submit receipts for replace articles was a joke. I will never fly with these idiots again ..I would rather take my chances in a rubber dingy with paddles in the shark infested ocean the to ever fly with them again

3  Thank Renee M
Reviewed 22 November 2017

I flew non-stop in business class (J class) from Toronto to Hong Kong.The non-stop reduces the total travel time by at least 2.5 hours. The flight departed on schedule, and due to favourable winds arrived 35 early. Throughout the flight the cabin temperature and airflow made for a comfortable trip.

About 30 minutes after takeoff, I had a triple Bailey’s Irish Cream. Not that I asked for a triple, but the attendant was generous in pouring.

The smoked salmon appetizer with shaved red onion, capers, and breadcrumbs was especially delicious. The best I’ve had during my over 6,000,000 miles on planes. For my main, I had the sablefish. It was very good.

Flight takeoff and landing were smooth and close to seamless. The flight crew was very friendly, attentive, and helpful.

The sleeper seat was very comfortable, both in the flatbed sleeping position and sitting up watching movies.

The movie selection seemed good. I watched two movies on this approximate 15-hour flight

Okay, Air Canada . . . Finally, you are leaving Aeroplan which keeps watering down the value of Aeroplan points? However, AC benefited when it took Aeroplan public, and again divesting its final shareholdings at a substantial profit. On the other hand, we, the Air Canada flyers have taken a BIG LOSS. With 2.05 million Aeroplan points, on which I can’t get business class tickets at the point levels before the watering down by Aeroplan, my points on which I used to realize an average value of about 4.25 cents is now worth only 1.2 cents or less. The 3.05 cents per point decline in redemption value, results in a value loss to me of over $62,525. Almost yearly we’ve been receiving letters from Aeroplan about the new and improved plan features. Do you think that most Air Canada flyers/Aeroplan members don’t see that the watered down plan is about the worst in the industry? Air Canada gained from selling its Aeroplan shares at a high value which resulted from the watering down. Double entry accounting tells us that the Air Canada gain was largely at a loss to the Air Canada flyers. Okay, where are the class action lawyers? Time for Harvey Strosberg to represent the Air Canada flyers. Surely the damages incurred are in the hundreds of millions or billions of dollars.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
2  Thank KodoDrummer
Reviewed 22 November 2017

As unbelievable as it may seem, Air Canada ground agents have been reduced to threatening passengers to stop them from complaining about its atrocious customer service. My wife and I were recently told that we would be “deplaned” from our Air Canada flight unless we stopped complaining. And what was our crime? We objected to multiple changes to our seat assignments, all without asking us. All without explanation. Call us crazy, but we objected to being reassigned to the middle seat for a 5 hour transcontinental flight.

Here’s what happened. On November 19th my wife and I were booked to fly from Los Angeles to Toronto on Air Canada Flight 796. At the time of booking we selected two aisle seats 24C & 24D. We chose aisle seats across from each other because the aircraft was configured in economy with 3 seats on each side of the single aisle. Neither of us wanted to sit in the dreaded middle seat. We had no concerns about being separated by the aisle.

Our reservations were confirmed in writing at the time of booking by Air Canada. We received our confirmed itinerary, tickets and seat assignments. Imagine our surprise when we checked-in to find we had been switched to a window and middle seat in Row 28. We complained and were told that only a single aisle seat was still available. It was a “premium” seat at an emergency exit for which we would have to pay a premium of $51 US. We agreed to pay the surcharge and my wife would take the “premium” aisle seat. I would stay in my window seat in Row 28. To our surprise, and delight, the agent then waived the surcharge and issued a boarding pass to my wife for the aisle seat. We left the check-in counter feeling quite impressed with Air Canada customer service.

When we arrived at the gate to board the plane neither of our boarding passes would work. We were then told we had been again been reassigned, this time to a middle and window seat in Row 33. We were told they had sold my wife’s “premium” seat to someone who had paid the surcharge. We explained to the gate agent that we had been more than willing to pay the surcharge and the check-in agent had elected to waive the fee. Too bad, we were told, the seat had been sold. They claimed the seat had been sold weeks before in October! I got no answer when I asked how it could have been sold in October yet showed as available when we checked in and was assigned to my wife.

We were told that they chose to move me from my window seat in aisle 28 to the middle seat in row 33 “so you can sit together”. Again we objected. We said we had no issue with being separated and that our priority from the original booking had been to avoid sitting in middle seats. Eventually I was re-issued a boarding pass for the window seat in Row 28. My wife was stuck in her window seat in Row 33. The last row in the cabin with restricted ability to recline.

As we walked down the ramp towards the plane my wife and I were griping to each other loudly enough that other passengers could hear us. A gate attendant walking past interrupted us and threatened that if we continued to complain that we wouldn’t be allowed to board the flight. She said we would be “deplaned”. In the interests of getting home, we boarded in silence. The agent, of course, wouldn’t give us her name.

As I said to the Air Canada gate staff, this is the type of customer service which results in Air Canada having a reputation. This was echoed by other passengers on the flight. Turns out we were far from the only passengers who had been reassigned from their original seats on flight 796. After everyone had boarded and taken their seats there was loud jeering at the back of the plane during a recorded announcement claiming Air Canada has been voted one of the world’s best airlines. Perhaps best at abusing customers. Certainly not best for customer service.

It’s outrageous that an airline can simply reassign you to an inferior seat without getting your agreement. It’s even more outrageous that Air Canada staff feel they have the right to threaten and bully passengers. Is it any wonder air rage incidents have become almost common.

Seems to me that the real Air Canada motto is “Air Canada. We’re not happy until you’re not happy”.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
5  Thank Eric22754