JenAngl24 wrote a review Mar 2020
Lynchburg, Virginia36 contributions20 helpful votes
Overall we had a great vacation but there were definitely areas that could be improved. Detailed review below!

Food:

Breakfast: We mainly ate at the buffet for breakfast due to time constraints. The buffet itself was not very impressive. The scrambled eggs were not great compared to other hotels/etc boxed scrambled eggs. The potatoes weren't great aside from the last day when they had friend hashbrowns. The bacon was soft and gross. However they do have omelet / egg stations in the 2 stations in the Havana bar so I survived on made to order eggs medium and a little oatmeal from the buffet. Not bad overall, but not great.

Lunch: The taco place, pizza place, and the burger place are all amazing! Don't bother with the buffet unless you want a salad to go with the above... The lunch buffet on half moon cay was also great. Also try the empanadas at the Havana Bar - amazing!!

Dinner: The meals in the main dining room were good. If you do your time dining, download the app and requesting a table is super easy. We had a party of 6 and never waited more than 10 minutes. Very Easy. Food was good, however service was slow most nights. Also noticed that the quality of items has gone down since last cruises we took and you now have to pay extra for things like filet and lobster. Some nights we had great service in the dining room, but at least 2 nights it was painfully slow. No complaints on the taste of the food. Everything was good. Loved the lamb Shank and the fried chicken!

Steakhouse: Food was fine, but not really much better than the dining room. Definitely not worth the $40 each we paid to go there. It was fine but nothing to write home about and not worth the extra fee

Beverages:

We ordered the CHEERs package. Not super impressed. My counterpart drinks miller light and that was fine. However, service at the bars was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Slow. The bartenders know how to ignore you and not make eye contact until they are ready to serve you. Cheers doesn't really work well and is biting bartenders in the A$s because bartenders have to ring up all possible 15 drinks separately and cant combine anything. We really would have liked to have drinks in the room but we would go to the bar and have to wait like 15-20 minutes to get a drink. Ridiculous. They really need more bartenders. They have 2-3 a bar but a lot of times only one is service drinks and the other 2 are ringing in the receipts and stocking the bar. Cheers really didn't feel worth it because of the wait for drinks. We weren't ever able to actually order more than 10-11 drinks in a day per person! Additionally I'm a vodka soda drinker and you aren't allowed to get more than 1 shot with a drink. I believe their shots are just 1 ounce. So I wasn't even able to get slightly tipsy on the cruise between the watered down pours and slow service. Definitely a turn off!!!! If you drink liquor don't get the drink package. Also very hard to have drinks in your room with Cheers. We ordered a nice balcony room and would have loved to enjoy drinks on the deck but between the waits on the drinks and the weak drinks we spent more time going to the bar and waiting than being able to enjoy drinks on our balcony. Carnival should have a better package with this in mind. Also they need a ALOT more bartenders because this was ridiculous. I really don't want to spend hours of my vacations hanging out at the bar with bartenders avoiding eye contact until they are ready to take your drink order. Drink service was also very slow in the dining room. Very Disappointed in the Cheers Package. They promote $3 extra for a double but you cant get this with Cheers so you are stuck with super weak drinks!!!!!! I suppose it helps curb some craziness but for someone who just wanted to get a few drinks to feel good it was freaking impossible!! Lastly they have switched to diet pepsi instead of coke! Yuck! Would much Prefer Coke. And you have to go to a bar even if you have the bubbles package and again wait for the bartender to wait on you to serve you a soda....Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Lastly, never once was I offered a drink laying by the pool...….whaaaaat?

Room:

We had a Balcony Spa Room on 12. Can't recommend this enough. The balconies are bigger than most. And this is close to the adults only pool areas. You get access to spa services and free thermal suites. It would be nice if they would block some lounge chairs for these rooms. The only complaint was that the water pressure would cut off at times. I was in the shower and lost hot water all together and had to turn on cold water to finish my shower. Also wish we could have enjoyed the balcony with drinks easier as mentioned above.

Entertainment: Comedy shows and shows were good. No complaints.

Ports: Freeport has not recovered from the hurricane. We had a good time but isn't a lot to do in the port and shop owners hound you for purchases. Half Moon Cay was great. Tender boats were good. We got off early and didn't wait for the boat and got good seats. No excursion needed here if you just want to chill on the beach this is your place. Tons of servers to SELL drinks and the rum punch at the pirates bar was great.

Overall it was a fun time with friends and luckily we had mostly good weather (last day at sea was cold and windy) but there are definitely things carnival should take into consideration.
Sail Date: March 2020
Pools & Sundecks
Onboard Activities
Entertainment
1 Helpful vote
Scroll below for other great reviews

Carnival Sunshine

Interior (4B)
  Ocean View (6B)

Cabins

Balcony
Cabin size: 185 - 185 sq. ft.
Connected rooms: 12

• Filter
  • English
Charlene P wrote a review 13 May
25 contributions12 helpful votes
We enjoyed our 5-day cruise from Charleston to Princess Cay and Nassau. We booked through American Express Delta airlines card because we got a room upgrade. The crew is amazing, the food was great but not the same quality as 5 years ago when I went on my last cruise. There’s no surf and turf lobster night anymore. Gotta pay $20 extra for that. Make Damn sure you do you Covid test otherwise they’ll charge you $100 EACH! To test :) thankful they test everyone before boarding :) I like Half Moon Cay better than Princess but it was still amazing snorkeling there and great shopping and local tours in Nassau.
Ginger S wrote a review Apr 2022
Barnardsville, North Carolina204 contributions52 helpful votes
The Sunshine is a bit bigger than the old fantasy class ships I'd sailed on before. The Serenity adults only decks (not just one deck but 3) were my favorite spot. It had a small pool, a hot tub and a waterfall feature. Lots of deck chairs and big two person 'cuddle pods' I called them covered lounge chairs. The fancy dining room Sunrise was wonderful as well, the food like on all Carnival Cruises is excellent. The Casino is large with lots of different games.
Bryan B wrote a review Mar 2022
Columbia, South Carolina118 contributions28 helpful votes
So, up front, this was a cheap trip. Offered to us as $35 for an inside cabin; we upgraded to an outside. The staff was super friendly and helpful,onshore and aboard. We've traveled on the Sunshine before from Charleston. Easy since we live in SC. Here's what we found. Our entire deck smelled of sewer gas the entire trip. On a previous trip, this smell was heavy in the lobby bar. The dining room continues to go down hill. Table cloths are used only one night (do NOT place my used/to be reused flatware on a bare table). Menus are less special each trip. In fact, the dining room menu was the same one night as it was in the Lido Buffet! State rooms are now only serviced once a day. Experienced a staff announcement at 6:00 am one day. The evening stage show was so bad, we left mid-show. It was awful. Comedians were entertaining. One port was skipped due to winds and currents - not Carnival's fault. Heavy emphases on cleaning. Good to see. We are re-booked for this month because we got an offer for a $25 balcony. Certainly wouldn't pay more than $200 for this trip at this level of service.
2 Helpful votes
JAYNE Waldrip wrote a review Feb 2022
Bloomington, Indiana33 contributions5 helpful votes
My husband and I traveled alone !! NEVER DOES THIS HAPPEN!! However we had so much fun !! Enjoyed checking out a ship that we have never been on and can't wait to get on another one !!
Virginia Z wrote a review Jan 2022
2 contributions1 helpful vote
Just got back from first journey cruise on the Carnival Sunshine. It was an okay cruise. But not worth the 2400. I paid for it. I was disappointed to find the cruise only had 1500 people on board and 1000 staff members. I was disappointed in two port changes that resulted in me going back to Amber Cove that we had just visited in November and missing St. Kitts I had never been too. I was more disappointed in the staff because one day I ordered breakfast in the dining room and not one thing I ordered was delivered to me. One day the steward didn't clean or room and it was a day we were at port so we were not in the room. I ask him the next day and he said sorry. Entertainment was a miss. only had the theater team the first night on a 10 day cruise. Don't even get me started on the food... On a positive note the shower was two times the size of our last ship. By the way I am a platinum member.

Upcoming itineraries

5 Night Cruise to the Bahamas
Departure date
Saturday, 03/09/22
The map for this itinerary is not available at this time.
Itinerary
Prices are cruise only, per person, double occupancy, and are provided by our partners. Taxes, fees and port expenses are not included. Fuel supplements may apply. Availability of prices is subject to the supplier’s pricing availability.