Shelby L wrote a review Nov 2021
Buena Vista, Colorado141 contributions65 helpful votes
Getting there…

This was our second cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship, our first being a honeymoon cruise on the Harmony of the Seas four years ago. We had such a wonderful time that we wanted to share the experience with our family so this time we brought all of our adult kids and their significant others. Overall it was an excellent week.

The cruise line took numerous precautions due to the pandemic and made us feel at least as safe as when we are in our local environments. Vaccines were required for all eligible passengers and crew, care was taken to minimize close gathering, masks were enforced while in doors in public spaces unless one was eating or drinking, and hand sanitizer stations were everywhere. I was particularly impressed with how the crew was able to handle gently reminding passengers to mask up without being confrontational. Further, we were sailing at reduced capacity which also made the boat seem less congested.

Our cabin was a balcony stateroom and was well designed and comfortable. A few more electrical outlets would have been nice, but this it always the case on cruise ships. We were in 7166 near the bow elevator lobby and it was very convenient.

All of the dining options we tried were very good and the service was excellent. The entertainment options were also a few rungs above what we have seen on other cruise lines.

The instant messaging function on the Royal Caribbean app was a very convenient feature, though I do not think RC should charge extra for it if one is already paying for their abysmal internet service.

A few less than positive observations:

The crew is largely comprised of people for whom English is not their first language. The heavy accents were often difficult to understand and this was further exacerbated by the muffling effect of the masks. I do not mean to disparage. Their English was certainly better than my command of any other language, however it did make communication a challenge. We also found that the public address volume was so loud that the voice transmission was often over-modulated so that it could not be understood. I was prepared to chock this up to my 60 year old ears until several of the younger family members mentioned the same issue.

Our largest complaint was in the shore excursions. If you do not book through the cruise line you run the risk of being marooned if your excursion has a problem that causes you to return late. This being the case, we booked everything through the cruise line. One outing on St. Thomas was cancelled. We were able to find another excursion but most of the more desirable ones had already sold out. Then the same thing happened twice for our excursion on St. Maarten. Our first choice was canceled a week before the cruise, and then our second choice was canceled the night before we docked. At that point the only remaining options were not desirable at all, so we elected to spend the day exploring the shopping district of St. Maarten only to discover that it was a national holiday (St. Maarten’s Day) and all of the stores were closed. We were hard pressed to even find a restaurant for lunch. I feel that RC should do a better job of offering more reliable shore excursions.

Finally, the internet offered on the ship is grossly substandard and RC should be ashamed to charge money for it. They bill it as the “fastest internet at sea.” In another place I read that it rivals the speeds of home internet. I initially had the Surf package. I was only able to achieve download speeds of less than 1 mbps and uploads that were too low to register. Needless to say, this was too slow for many websites to even load before timing out. When I complained they upgraded me to the “Surf and Stream” package where I was rewarded with download speeds of less than 2 mbps. Fast enough to surf, but videos froze up and buffered when trying to stream. I feel that charging for this service is a ripoff and detracts from Royal Caribbean’s brand. I do not recommend wasting your money on it.

In short, this was an excellent week and we would consider sailing with Royal Caribbean again, though there are certainly some remaining cobwebs to be sorted as they ramp back up to full operations.
Sail Date: November 2021
Dining
Pools & Sundecks
Onboard Activities
Entertainment
Scroll below for other great reviews

Oasis of the Seas

• Deck 8
Additional decks
Deck 3 layout
Cabins
  Ocean View Accessible (1N)
  Interior (2V)
  Interior (1V)
  Ocean View (2N)

Cabins

Balcony
Cabin size: 182 - 274 sq. ft.
Connected rooms: 454

• Coastal Kitchen - Suite Restaurant
  • Room Service*
* May require additional fees

Reviews
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.

• 106
  • Filter
  • English
CG-Lebo wrote a review 11 Jan
Buchanan, New York33 contributions11 helpful votes
We went on a family holiday cruise last September 2022 and it was amazing! It was our first-time to cruise aboard the Royal Caribbean for my husband, kids and I (and the nth time for my sister and bro-in-law), and we weren't disappointed! My favorite was the Central Park view rooms, the amazing food at the main dining hall - especially during breakfast! At first there were mishaps as we were a party of 7, and we were placed in 3 different tables during our first night/first day, and again the following day. However, they were able to fix it quick. Will definitely return but will always look for KIDS SAIL FREE!!!
Frank W wrote a review 4 Jan
1 contribution
We took this cruise as we thought it was the best option to use our Future Cruise Credits before expiration the end of December 2022. Good and lots of bad changes and non changes. Good..... Things for families to do, Music Hall was nice and sports bar was larger. Bad..... Lots of restaurants closed at 5pm. Buffet closed twice during the day. First time that has happened to us. Non ..... CATS was still their major show at the theatre, it was there when I took a cruise on the Oasis when the ship came out. Didn't care much for it then. Our waiter, asst waiter and cabin steward were outstanding. The entertainment was average at best.
Sandy P wrote a review Dec 2022
37 contributions4 helpful votes
We loved every second of our week on Oasis of the Seas! So much to do, so well organized, friendly helpful staff who go above and beyond to make your experience wonderful…truly layers of things for every generation to experience.
Josh S wrote a review Dec 2022
2 contributions
We took advantage of the Next Cruise program while on board with the promise we could change dates with no fees or issues. I guess it was our fault for taking their word and not looking at the fine print. The kids scout troop announced the dates for summer camp as the same dates as our cruise. When our agent called last week to change the dates, she was told we would loose our onboard credits ($600) and our $400 deposit no matter if we canceled or changed the dates. I called today thinking there’s no way they would loose a family of four that has booked 4 cruises in less than 20 months. Label me wrong! We are out $400 due to miss information. Customer service at RCL will be the death of them. In this day and age customer service is king. RCL is on a sinking ship when it comes to taking care of loyal customers! We will take our money elsewhere. Completely done with Royal!
Carolyn L wrote a review Dec 2022
1 contribution
Do not waste your money with this cruise ship if you are a person of color I experienced racism first hand at the dining room main dining deck 3 and the Manager stan did nothing about it I against experienced racism on day 6 at the zip line and the managers for this activity was milorad and mykola and the worst of all was at guest services with the manager kamna she did nothing about any of the situation I told her about instead called security to have me removed from the counter never will I spend money with this company again who cares how nice it is if your going to be treated poorly

Upcoming itineraries

7 Night Cruise to the Eastern Caribbean
Departure date
Sunday, 05/02/23
The map for this itinerary is not available at this time.
Itinerary
Prices are cruise only, per person, double occupancy, and are provided by our partners. Taxes, fees and port expenses are not included. Fuel supplements may apply. Availability of prices is subject to the supplier’s pricing availability.