We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to hike in the Cloud Forest?

Portland, Oregon
6 posts
Save Topic
Best way to hike in the Cloud Forest?

We are interested in hiking and seeing animals and have gotten mixed information about the best way to do this. We have 2 kids ages 8 and 11 and one senior age 70 in our group. So, we probably can't hike more than about 4 miles round trip at any given time. That said we are happy to get up early if that helps for animal viewing. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,317 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to hike in the Cloud Forest?

We hiked in the Monteverde Reserve with a guide and saw quite a bit of wildlife. We got the guide recommendation through our hotel and just met him early at the Reserve one morning. It was a fairly easy walk, definitely doable for all ages.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to hike in the Cloud Forest?

I agree with volcano girl, the Reserve is nice and easy . I recommend it for any age. They have great experienced guides. Just use comfortable shoes.

It can be cold, be sure to bring something like a sweater or jacket just in case, specially for the nights, they are often windy and chilly. And remember the dry season runs from December through May and the rainy season from May to November, but the Reserve is always beautiful, at any time of the year!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to hike in the Cloud Forest?

The Monteverde Cloud Forest reserve offers a guided hike that you can book directly with them. The tour begins at 7:30am. You can find them under CCT Monteverde (Centro Cientifico Tropical Monteverde)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to hike in the Cloud Forest?

Dear Liz K...

Monteverde is incredible nice...many nice hikes available...you will see a lot of birds...all kind of insects...incredible nice vegetation...but not much wildlife...

In my well over 35 years guiding people around there...I have had not a chance to see much wild life...BUT...most people go there looking for the great QUETZAL...important bird for my indian ancestors...since it was considerer as a sacred bird and even the feathers were considering as currency...

Of course the best way is with a guide...hopefully one certified ...many jokers around playing Tour guide ...same situation with Tour Operators...try to dealt with Tour Operators or Travel Agencies that are certified ...by ICT ...it is a free country...but better to dealt with proffesionals...in your case you will see more animals...

roadadvisor

5. Re: Best way to hike in the Cloud Forest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2013, 10:30