We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan- precautions

Austin, Texas
9 posts
Save Topic
Roatan- precautions

Hi all. I am planning a trip to Roatan in a few months. I have been reading saftety and precautions to take while there. I have come across some warnings about malaria and air pollution in Honduras. Are these problems in Roatan? Would someone with asthma have trouble with the pollution? Thanks in advance!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Roatan- precautions

well, Kim... if you've read a lot you know there is a split decision on malaria pills for Roatan. We take them. Malaria can ruin your whole day! But the odds are pretty good, especially if you use good mosquito repellant protocol, even if you don't take them.

I wouldn't go to Austin without having my Hep A & B up to date... we also keep our typhoid current and, of course, tetanus and the usual innoculations,. We travel frequently, so we also pay attention to cholera. We have decided against rabies protection, though our daughter got a graze from the tooth of an overly-food oriented dog in Ecuador that led to a nasty expensive anti-rabies treatment.

The best advice is to see your doctor - except my GP is always too busy to travel so he trusts my research for the common stuff. The real best advice is to see a travel doctor at a travel clinic. They really do know their stuff,. They sometimes vary a little around the edges... yellow fever shots, for example... but they should be pretty unanimous about Roatan. I think it would be a rare travel doctor that woulnd't recommend malaria pills for Roatan.

So... read the CDC site and other authoritative medical sites, get knowledgeable... don't read this forum or any other anecdotal site for medical information... ignore opinions from amateurs, including mine.

then chose a doctor you trust, go in with your list of questions and info, and make some decisions...

22. Re: Roatan- precautions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:40