We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Acadia National Park in October?

Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Acadia National Park in October?

My husband and I are planning a 2 week trip and wanted to visit the Acadia National Park.

Our trip begins on October 20th. We could start with 2 or 3 nights in that area and then head south.

My question is whether it is too late to visit that area at the end of October?

We are looking for scenic views and hikes. Does the weather usualy permit that? Are restaurants still open that time of year?

Also, where would be the best place to stay in the area?

Thank you for your help :)

2 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Acadia National Park in October?

October 20th is not too late to visit Acadia. Fall color will be past peak. But it might be in the bronze stage. In any case, hiking is great in late October. Days are still fairly pleasant, in the 50s or 60s. Nights can get a bit chilly so that early mornings will require a sweater or a fleece. The ocean gives Mount Desert Island a nice long, pleasant Autumn. Sadly, we pay for that in the Spring, which never seems to come until late May.

In Bar Harbor, much of the lodging and dining will stay open until the very end of October. Some things close after the first full weekend of October, like the outdoor seating lobster places. But you will still have plenty of choice of where to stay and where to eat. Cruise ships continue to come into Bar Harbor throughout the month. The Park Loop Road stays open until December 15 (or first significant snowfall it that happens earlier). You will be able to drive to all the trail heads and to the top of Cadillac Mountain.

I'd recommend staying anywhere on Mount Desert Island. Don't stay in Ellsworth because there is no need to stay a full 30 minutes away from the Park. Bar Harbor or Southwest Harbor are equally convenient to access Acadia. Bar Harbor will give you a wider choice of accommodation.

Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Acadia National Park in October?

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I appreciate it.

Reply to: Visiting Acadia National Park in October?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mount Desert Island