We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abel Tasman Track High Tides

Hampstead, Maryland
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Abel Tasman Track High Tides

Hello. I have booked the Abel Tasman Track and transportation and just want to confirm that my understanding of crossing the Awaroa Inlet is correct. I will be walking from Whariwharangi Hut to Awaroa Hut on 27 November 2018. I checked the tide schedule. Sunrise is listed as 5:52 with the morning tide time at 7:34. Sunset is listed as 8:40 with the afternoon tide time iat 8:07. Tramping time between the huts appeas to be about 6 hours. So, it appears that I should aim to arrive at the inlet crossing at least 1 1/2 hours prior to the evening tide time. I would probably get there early and just wait so I would not miss it. If someone could confirm that my plan is OK, it would be greatly appreciated!!

5 replies to this topic
Hampstead, Maryland
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Abel Tasman Track High Tides

Correction to the Subject of the Post- of course I understand the crossing time are LOW Tide. :-)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
474 reviews
2. Re: Abel Tasman Track High Tides

That is correct. You can only cross Awaroa Estuary about 1.5 hours either side of low tide. its a big expanse of water and way way over head height at high tide. This website has low tides https:/…tide-tables

Hampstead, Maryland
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Abel Tasman Track High Tides

Thanks. The times i mentioned in my post are from the table at the link you provided.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
219 reviews
4. Re: Abel Tasman Track High Tides

It's a great walk. However be aware that when the tide is low millions of flying teeth emerge (sandflies).

Walk it in sandals or bare feet. There are buckets at the end to wash your feet.

Hampstead, Maryland
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Abel Tasman Track High Tides

Thanks

Reply to: Abel Tasman Track High Tides
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...
More Abel Tasman National Park Topics