We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are tents provided or do we need to get our own?

Level Contributor
18 posts
Are tents provided or do we need to get our own?

We are considering staying in a camp in the national park and want to know if they are available and already set up, or if we need to bring our own camps? Couldn't find questions or information around this, meaning it might be obvious - but I am still in the dark

8 replies to this topic
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,321 posts
474 reviews
1. Re: Are tents provided or do we need to get our own?

You must carry everything in, and pack everything out. That includes, tents, sleeping bags, cookers, food, cooking utensils, cultery. And take all rubbish etc out. There are no shops, cafes, restaurants etc in the Abel Tasman National park (except at Akaroa lodge and at the DOC office at Totaranui). You can get your gear transported for a charge through the aquataxis, but otherwise you carry it all on your back.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,321 posts
474 reviews
2. Re: Are tents provided or do we need to get our own?

This website has all the info https:/…

If you want glamping the only place this is available along Abel Tasman is on private land at Awaroa Glamping

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
220 reviews
3. Re: Are tents provided or do we need to get our own?

DOC operate butts on this walk.

However they are just a place to get out of the rain, and to sleep. Apart from mattresses in 2 deck bunks nothing is provided.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,321 posts
474 reviews
4. Re: Are tents provided or do we need to get our own?

Ha Mike. Made my day. #3. Mike means that DOC do have bunks, not butts. On the website it does have bookings for huts but they fill up very quickly at peak times. The DOC huts have mattresses and you need to provide everything else - even the morning coffee.

Ive often been on the Abel Tasman and been asked how far to the cafe for coffee. Its a national park and no cafes!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
220 reviews
5. Re: Are tents provided or do we need to get our own?

Really should double check my writing. Awaroa Lodge is only place to buy anything on this track. Queen Charĺotte Track has a few more options but then it's no a National Park

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,116 posts
451 reviews
6. Re: Are tents provided or do we need to get our own?

Clearly the NZ idea of camping isn't familiar to overseas visitors. This is where "glamping" has become a new thing, where the tents are already set up & you don't have to carry all your stuff; but for most people, the appeal of the Great Walks is being self-sufficient. I got my tent taken in by water taxi to Awaroa when I couldn't get a hut booking for that one night. I really lucked out because a large group had booked out the hut for a catered party & invited the campers to share the leftovers!!

Level Contributor
18 posts
7. Re: Are tents provided or do we need to get our own?

Thanks a lot folks. Helped me averting a planning disaster. The price difference between campsites and DOC huts not being high added to my confusion.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
220 reviews
8. Re: Are tents provided or do we need to get our own?

There is a lot of luck involved in getting a hut. Capacity is deliberately kept low so as to not spoil the very nature of the place.

There are operators who offer quite sophisticated experiences, at a price, but the experience offered by DOC is really quite basic. Although the toilets flush and water is drinkable.

Unlike most other tracks you can dodge carrying your own pack as there are 2 companies that will transfer them. Makes carrying bottles of wine much easier :) (and taking out the empties)

Reply to: Are tents provided or do we need to get our own?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...
More Abel Tasman National Park Topics