We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking Dec 29th, 2018: guided or not guided?

Evergreen, Colorado
2 posts
Kayaking Dec 29th, 2018: guided or not guided?

Looking for advice on where to kayak to from Kaiteriteri (day trip only) and on whether we should do a guided trip or not. We are traveling with our children, ages 12 and 15, and all of us are very fit and have kayaked before in Hawaii. I most certainly would not call us expert kayakers though. Would a guided trip really get us to some better spots/less well known spots? My concern about not guided/planned is availability of kayak rentals at that time of year. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

3 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,172 posts
450 reviews
1. Re: Kayaking Dec 29th, 2018: guided or not guided?

If you are experienced then you should be OK to do a non-guided tour - but will you know where to go to find the seal colonies, sea caves etc? Either way, you will need to book ASAP.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
474 reviews
2. Re: Kayaking Dec 29th, 2018: guided or not guided?

Definitely guided unless you are experienced open ocean water kayakers. So many people underestimate the Abel Tasman waters. I would definitely only take my teenage children on kayaking on abel tasman on guided trip. The winds get up and I honestly have seen so many capacised kaykers rescued. My son, had to do a rescue attempt on a friend. Its not to be underestimated.

The guides know all the good spots.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 21:18
Evergreen, Colorado
2 posts
3. Re: Kayaking Dec 29th, 2018: guided or not guided?

Good points, thanks for the advice! Yes, definitely going to book soon given our timing of our trip.

Reply to: Kayaking Dec 29th, 2018: guided or not guided?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...
More Abel Tasman National Park Topics