We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Part of Abel Tasman Track

Vail, Colorado
1 post
Best Part of Abel Tasman Track

Hello!

We are planning a trip to Abel Tasman National Park at the end of March, we have a limited amount of time and were wondering what the best part of the track is, in everyone's opinion? I have heard mixed things about the beginning of the trail and the end of the trail. We are planning on staying in a DOC hut for a night and then doing two days of walking, and either leaving our car at where we start, or taking a boat taxi to wherever we begin/end.

Any suggestions/favourites of the trail are greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

7 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,133 posts
451 reviews
1. Re: Best Part of Abel Tasman Track

The cheapest option, depending on whether you can get hut bookings would be to water taxi to Bark Bay on day 1; walk to Anchorage Hut (4hr) and 2nd day walk out to Marahau (4 hr), so only one water taxi required.

However as the Anchorage to Marahau is less interesting you might prefer to be water taxied in to Awaroa; walk to Bark Bay (4:30hr) and stay there for the night; 2nd day walk to Anchorage and get a water taxi out.

As I said - it will depend on where you can get hut bookings.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,330 posts
474 reviews
2. Re: Best Part of Abel Tasman Track

So many options. I prefer the northern end. Totaranaui to mutton cove. But its the most expensive to get too. But then all areas on the Abel Tasman have stunning beaches. Recent king tides have caused extensive damage in some areas bark bay campground is closed and there are only two toilets there so try and avoid that area,

Sutton, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
3. Re: Best Part of Abel Tasman Track

hello. I'm looking at hiking in that area April 2019. How is the Bark Bay campsite looking now?

I'm tramping alone and would like to do some sea kayaking while in that area. Any suggestions as I need to go with a group as renting alone is not possible. thanks

Oz
Level Contributor
14,968 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Best Part of Abel Tasman Track

Hi,

My personal favorite is the last 100m to the car.

Cheers,

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,330 posts
474 reviews
5. Re: Best Part of Abel Tasman Track

Bark bay campsite all good. Check alerts and info on this site https:/…

Its fine to hike the abel tasman coastal track solo but you do need to book huts and campsites in advance. Do not kayak solo, it is open ocean conditions. I suggest you look up kayak options such as abel tasman kayaks.

Sutton, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
6. Re: Best Part of Abel Tasman Track

as I am going solo I am now looking at combining a guided kayak full day paddle and doing my own hiking the day before or after the paddling. Trying to sort out logistics. any suggestions as to where to get dropped off with water taxi before a paddle to do a day hike before or after. Awaroa or Bark Bay are an option but tidal crossing does not match boat shuttle times.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,330 posts
474 reviews
7. Re: Best Part of Abel Tasman Track

awaroa is the only place you have to worry about tidal times, and only if you travelling north to totaranui. Perhaps consider onetahuti. at high tide you can paddle into shag harbour. Do not kayak solo, and guided is recommended as it is open ocean.

Reply to: Best Part of Abel Tasman Track
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...
More Abel Tasman National Park Topics