We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I pre-book a taxi?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Should I pre-book a taxi?

I shall be arriving in beautiful Skiathos on 9th May, and need to take a taxi from the airport into town. arriving around 2pm. I am quite happy to queue for a short while for a taxi at the airport, but does anyone know whether there is likely to be a long wait and if it is best to pre-book? Thank you.

23 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I pre-book a taxi?

Unless you are in a group of move than 4 persons wanting to travel together no it’s not necessary to pre book - taxis are readily available from the airport rank. There is only 19 taxis on the island altogether so expect to share with couples who you do not know, this is a normal practice and also expect the driver to pick up others on route if you have empty seats .... every couple will pay an individual fare ie airport to town 8<12€ per couple... if you need an 8 seat minibus they must be pre-booked, available via Victoria Rentals/Skiathos Transfer Services - this would be a free transfer if you hire a car/bike/quad and it’s over 100€...

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I pre-book a taxi?

Thank you for your help David

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I pre-book a taxi?

Hello , please don't pre - book certainly not through your travel company ...... you will pay treble the true fare .

9th May you won't have to queue at all but you may have to share ( Airport to Town is only minutes ) .

Simply tell the driver where you are staying, ask the price , get in the Taxi and be prepared to fall in love with the Island . That's the way it is :) :)

Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I pre-book a taxi?

Kriandos ~ the 8 seaters have to be pre booked or your not insured to travel in them ~ they also have no meter fitted and you could potentially be charged anything without a written agreement signed by both driver and passenger ~ I would never advise anyone to book through a travel agent as they charge a fortune (up to 60€!) and pay the taxi driver peanuts... Only pre book through Niko Papas, Victoria Rentals via his company STS/Skiathos Transfer Services.

Edited: 22 March 2018, 22:41
St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I pre-book a taxi?

Sorry I didn't realise brightoncoaster needed an 8 seater , if so I would have advised him exactly as you have done . Cheers david P .

Level Contributor
280 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I pre-book a taxi?

I fly in on the 9th too can't wait

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I pre-book a taxi?

Thanks for your advice Marcus. There are only 2 of us, so we will just hop in a taxi at the airport. Enjoy your holiday. Not long to wait now!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I pre-book a taxi?

Thank you Kriandos

Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I pre-book a taxi?

No offence meant kriandos ~ I see some trouble ahead this summer at the airport and around the island with the introduction of private hire cars and minibuses (like a taxi but not allowed to pick up without pre booking) the rank taxis are not happy at all that this is being allowed but there is nobody to stop it happening.

As you may know I have a Uk hackney licensed taxi and this happens with the private hire firms taking passengers without bookings hence uninsured, same rules in Greece, you cannot hail a private hire car.. ..

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I pre-book a taxi?

Offence ??? No way have you offended me ,You are giving sound and valuable advice to Tourists david P.

We have never met but your very clear and concise experience and knowledge regarding Skiathos is highly informative.

Someone told me you are a UK Hackney professional , a people person ;)

Can't see private hire happening though , if you know the people I know .....

Reply to: Should I pre-book a taxi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos Town
Recent Conversations