We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dhow weddings

Oxford
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Topic
Dhow weddings

I will be getting married late 2014/early 2015 and am keen to avoid a hotel venue for the ceremony. I read that it is possible to get married on a dhow but have only been able to find the Tamarind dhows in Mombasa. Are these the only 2 and if so, is this because they have to be registered as a venue? Is there any way that I could arrange a small dhow wedding from Galu beach? Alternatively, any suggestions for coastal venues would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
plymouth england
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dhow weddings

La Marina in Mtwapa hold Dhow Weddings - cheaper than Tamarind and just as beautiful there is also a smaller Dhow for hire in the Floating restaurant the Moorings

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dhow weddings

We got married in Tsavo West National Park on top of Poachers Lookout. Amazing setting with Kili in the background. We had 12 lions arrive at the end of the wedding. This was booked via Severin Sea Lodge and Severin Safari Camp. I think they also arrange Dhow weddings.

severin-travel.com/travel-themes/…

Mentioned in this post
Severin Sea Lodge
Severin Sea Lodge
611 Reviews
Bamburi, Kenya
Oxford
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dhow weddings

Thanks to you both. I am sort of fixed on Galu Beach as this is where I have been based for the last 10 plus years also spent a lot of my childhood. It would also be great to get married where we are staying. Is Kenya similiar to the UK in that venues/dhows have to be registered for weddings? If this isn't the case then perhaps If I can find a working dhow and agree a cost, I could get it to sail to the right location for the wedding. Does this just sound like a bonkers idea?

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dhow weddings

Sounds like a brilliant idea. You don't need to have the venue registered, just a legal person who can marry you. Alternatively if you can't get the person on the Dhow, get a registry wedding in the morning, and then jump on the Dhow for a sunset "Wedding Ceremony".

There used to be a really nice dhow based at Kilifi Boatyard but the only one I can see is http://www.kilifikonnection.com/dhow-cruise

Manda Bay have a very nice Dhow - mandabay.com/activities/dhow-excursions.htm

Good luck

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dhow weddings

Maybe the fundamentals would be:

Make sure you have the required permits/ licenses

Make sure the dhow insured to protect your guests and yourself

Maybe you should check if Jahazi Marine will operate around Galu beach, its operated by Severin Tours

6. Re: Dhow weddings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 September 2013, 14:05
Oxford
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dhow weddings

Many thanks to you all. I am making good progress and have found Coral Spirit who operate out of both Diani and Wasini, so things are looking good. We are going to book a dhow for the whole day and turn it into a fun day visiting various islands, with a bit of fishing etc. Hopefully we will also find some dolphins & to make my day even more special a whale shark. We will have to decide what part of the day to have the actual ceremony but possibly at the start around sunrise, or as close to as we can get the regsitrar to turn up. We will probably have to pay for him to stay overnight so he is on hand first thing. Will be back in touch for advice if it all goes pear shaped! Fingers crossed.

Anna

Mentioned in this post
Diani Beach
Diani Beach
Ukunda, Kenya
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dhow weddings

that sounds lovely, We found the paperwork to do in the UK before you go was very easy. Don't forget you have to be in Kenya for 4 days before the wedding.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
9. Re: Dhow weddings

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 September 2013, 09:35
10. Re: Dhow weddings

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach