We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Diani Beach to Tsavo East / west

Caerphilly
8 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Diani Beach to Tsavo East / west

Hello... We are coming on our honeymoon in 4 weeks and I am wondering how long the car journey is from diani beach to tsavo?? Also, are there any "must do" things other than safari?

Thanks

Vicky

south wales [uk]
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Diani Beach to Tsavo East / west

hi Vicky , another Caerphilly traveller , I am from Llanbradach :)

we completed the Tsavo East/Tsavo West/Amboseli safari from Diani [Baobab] only a few weeks ago

Diani to Tsavo East national park gates is about 3 hours[you can avoid the ferry] the norm then is to do a few hours game drive and then check in to your lodge for lunch [we used VOI Safari Lodge - fantastic views across the savannah , basic dormitory style rooms] you then have a few hours free time before going out on another game drive , the next morning you check out and drive to the next park .what itinerary have you planned ?

after 4 days safari [early 6 am starts - long days] we just chilled out on the beach - others would probably advise differently

Caerphilly
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Diani Beach to Tsavo East / west

Hello... Well what a coincidence because we are currently living in Llanbradach too!! What a small world!

Thanks for the reply.. I read this morning that it takes 6,5 hours (and I'm not a great traveller in a car!!) so was starting to panic. This kind of holiday is a bit out of my comfort zone so am trying to get as much research done as possible haha.

Vicky

Caerphilly
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Diani Beach to Tsavo East / west

Also I just realised you said Baobab - that's the hotel we are staying at!! Good review?

Vicky

Caerphilly
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Diani Beach to Tsavo East / west

We have got the 2 night safari booked, so tsavo east and then west. Getting very exited about it now!

south wales [uk]
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Diani Beach to Tsavo East / west

as you say a small world :)

yes Baobab Beach Resort we thought fantastic - see our review

also see our safari review under Freddy Safari - should help you with a few bits of info

anything else just ask :)

Caerphilly
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Diani Beach to Tsavo East / west

Hello! Hope you don't mind me getting in touch again! We have been told by Thomson in Caerphilly that we do not need to do anything regarding a visa? I know we have to pay $50 each to enter, and $40 to leave, but did you have to complete a visa before going??

Many thanks

Vicky

7. Re: Travelling from Diani Beach to Tsavo East / west

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 September 2013, 14:05
south wales [uk]
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Diani Beach to Tsavo East / west

you can apply to Kenyan Embassy for Visa if you wish , perhaps easier way is to download the visa form , fill it

in and hand it in to Immigration when you land USD $50 , 40 Euro or £30 , they should accept all three but we found they prefer US $ , kicking up a bit of a fuss to those offering £ , though £ is better value.

No photos required they take your photo & finger prints at the Immigration desk !!

Visa form seem to have been changed lately from the "old" V1 [2007] one , the embassy site should have the new one [web address can be found in a thread a week or so ago] or they will give them out on the plane [hopefully the correct one] they also give out forms for departure tax on your return US $40 , £30 or KES ,

south wales [uk]
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Diani Beach to Tsavo East / west

hi Vicky

no need to pay anyone to apply for the Visa/Departure Tax

get your forms on the plane , fill them in and hand over your money - no problem

south wales [uk]
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from Diani Beach to Tsavo East / west

hi Vicky

advice not needed , post has been removed :)

Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach
Recent Conversations