We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diani Beach and Southern Palms

Scotland
5 posts
Save Topic
Diani Beach and Southern Palms

Hello,

I posted in March and was given some fantastic information to help my new wife (yay) and I for our honeymoon in the summer. So firstly, thank you to those who helped out!

We have a few more things that if we knew we could get a lot more sorted for our trip and while we are there, so sorry for such a big post and so many questions! While we are all inclusive at Southern Palms, we will still be out and about a lot, having little bites to eat and drink etc and we don't want to be going places where we pay over the odds for simple things. Most meals etc we will obviously have at Southern Palms, but we were wondering about the following places (after the Yellow Fever question) so we can make decisions.

Firstly, and mainly, Yellow Fever Vaccine - We know that this is asked lots etc and there is info, so we have researched this and have seen from the info about the WHO change in April 2011 but don't know if that covers Diani Beach and Tsavo East and West. Our main question is does it?! We will only be there and Mombasa, which is now included in the not normally recommended, and won't be going to anywhere else in Afica in the near future! If we are only going to not recommended areas we will probably not get it, but we need to know this and aren't sure throughour research. Now onto quicker questions!

How much would an evening meal for two, with a couple of drinks, roughly cost at Ali Barbours?

How expensive is wine? How much is it for a bottle in a restaurant? What would the average price be?

What would lunch and a couple of drinks cost at African Pot and Forty Thieves?

In bars that are not part of hotels etc, how much would a Tusker be? What are the places that are cheaper bars, again not part of hotels, and what are places that are more expensive bars? Can you give us directions?!

Is water part of AI at Southern Palms?

What would a bottle of water cost there or at the local shop?

What is the best way to avoid upset stomachs?! Obviously not using tap water for anything, but have you any top tips? What about ice in cocktails at Southern Palms and other bars? Is it wise to ask for no ice?

If buying fruit from a stall, does washing it with bottled water ensure anything from bad tap water that might be on it is washed off and therefore the fruit is safe to eat?

What about the fruit in Southern Palms - safe to eat or wash it with bottled water or avoid?

We are driving from Edinburgh down to fly from Manchester and have a private transfer to the hotel. How long will the private transfer (roughly) take?

We have booked a 2 night safari with JT Safaris for Tsavo East and West to stay at Kilaguni Serena Lodge and Ashnil Aruba Lodge. It may be just us, or travelling with another couple if there are others there. What do you think is a fair price for this and what is the best way of bargaining, as we see it is expected in good humour and is a socially nice thing too!

How much should we look to pay for a taxi roughly to Ali Barbours/Mombasa/Shikamana school? Or can you walk to the school? That may be ridiculous to you if you know the area but we don;t so don;t know if it is miles away or close!!

I know it's a lot of questions but we can't wait and want everything to go nice and smoothly!

What is etiquette for sunbeds? Are there plenty or is it best to try and get one 'reserved'? If so, how do we do that or is it a case of getting up early?

Thank you so much,

Dave and Lynsey

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diani Beach and Southern Palms

Not an expert on the South Coast - only been there once - prefer North Coast.

I can however answer 2 of your questions about Ali Barbour's. A meal for 2 with (with Drinks) should be £40 - £50 (3 courses).

You don't need a taxi as they will send a courtesy car for you and drop you back after your meal. Saves you a few bob !

A Tusker in a bar will cost you about 150ksh.

The Yellow Fever thing is a never ending saga - it is personal choice - mine is not to bother.

Am sure one of the South Coast experts will answer most of your specific questions - particularly the ones relating to Southern Palms.

Scotland
Level Contributor
390 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diani Beach and Southern Palms

I'm by no means an expert but have been to Southern Palms and am returning this year.

Water is included in the AI package- two bottles are left outside your room each day. We used one for teeth brushing and gave the other to the night security guards on our way out in the evening. You can order bottles of water from the waiters as part of your AI package too. We never had an upset stomach in the fortnight we were there. We tried to be sensible with what we ate and drank for the first few days and it semed to pay off.

We also travelled down from Edinburgh to Manchester. The drive from MOI to Southern Palms took us about an hour and a half in the Thomson coach. The flight times mean you are not hitting Likoni during the peak times and you see a bit of Mombasa on the way. The coach was air conditioned and bottled water was provided.

We also did a two night safari to Ashnil Aruba and Kilaguni Serena. Ashnil Ariba was fine but didn't blow us away like Kilaguni did. We paid £305 each for the two of us in a private van at the beginning of July with F King safaris.

As Westwood boy mentioned Ali Barbours will send a courtesy car. We did a day trip to Mombasa but F King provided it free of charge so not sure how much that would cost. We also visited Shikamana- if you speak to Jules V she can arrange transport to the school - it's not far, maybe ten minutes in a taxi but a fair walk and you would probably struggle to find it.

You will find more info on the schools website and Julie would be happy to provide any other info you need:-

http://www.shikamanaschool-diani-kenya.com/

There were plenty of sunbeds when we were there but it wasn't the busiest time of year so not sure if that is always the case. There are pool attendants from dawn til about 2.30pm. If you ask them nicely they will find beds and put them where you want them. We chatted to one of the pool attendants on our first day and came down the next morning to find he had towels on prime sunbeds for us. He never asked for a tip but he got it!

Hope you have a great holiday. Don't forget to make sure the hotel know it is your honeymoon!

shamba25
Level Contributor
252 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diani Beach and Southern Palms

Hi - You dont need yellow fever jab for kenya so thats 1 thing off your list ha ha - cannot comment if water included at your hotel - outside 2 litr water costs at very top 100 ks if bought from a shop a lot cheaper - Tusker at local bars I paid 120ks -Yes, please wash your bought fruit with bottled water. I never have ice from anywhere -Ali's for food & drinks are English prices. African pot, chinese & indian near your hotel are kenyan prices you can both eat very well for approx £25, 3000ks ish with a beer - Wine is imported so is a little expensive think a little higher than english prices - Transfer if no problem with the ferry approx 1 hour if luck is with you, taxis ,you need to get a local driver ( I do have No. if needed) & agree a price before your journey. Safari - Im sure others will advise on the price but can I suggest that you fix a price in sterling (not $ )as its strong at tho moment & better value for you. I understand there are plenty of sunbeds, but if you have prob after your fisrt day just tip the bed man & he will 'reserve 1' for your stay - Ali's & 40s is approx 10mins or a little more by taxi -in the same area is Urshago bar with Maisi market, serves all kinds of food good prices mayb try on sat/sunday afternoon get matatu, local bus, from hotel to Barclays then change & get another matatu & ask for Urshago have look round,cost is 20 ks each, then short walking distance is 40's from 40's turn right walk along beach 10 mins or so for Kim 4 love for live music, right on the beach,& cheap, all the locals go there- Or from your hotel beach side, turn left walk 10 mins & there is another nice bar on the beach with live music, but prices are higher. Sorry my post is nearly as long as yours ha ha - Im sure you will have a fantastic holiday.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diani Beach and Southern Palms

Ali Barbours is a pricey restaurant compared to other eating places.

Any case, u can download the menu from www.alibarbours.com/cave_restaurant.html

If you like indian, i recommend the Shan 'E' Punjab in Diani. Great food & good value for money too.

Stef

Scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Diani Beach and Southern Palms

Thank you so much for the info so far! If there are any more Southern Palms visitors that can add to this then that would be amazing as well!

6. Re: Diani Beach and Southern Palms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2012, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach
Recent Conversations