We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices at diani reef resort and spa?

wiltshire
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Prices at diani reef resort and spa?

Hi

I'm going to diani reef resort and spa in mid june half board, I understand from previous reviews that wine is really expensive can anyone let me know prices for lager, beer, spirits etc. and also lunch time food?.......just want to get an idea of how much money to take with us we usually go all inclusive.

Also we are going with first choice on ndogo 3 night 4 day safari how much money do you recommend we take with us for that?.......should I carry passport and all money when we go on safari?.......or do you recommend using hotel safe?

any info would be much appreciated.

Kindest Regards

dawna

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
272 reviews
1. Re: Prices at diani reef resort and spa?

Hi Dawna

As the Diani Reef is a five star hotel their prices are a bit higher than the four star hotels. We have been for lunch and dinner and found the lunch albeit a toasted sandwich and chips and a fish dish for my husband came to quite abit more than we spend at the Southern Palms - possibly £5 more. As I don't drink a cola was about 30ks more and my husband doesn't like tusker therefore had mineral water which was about 50ks dearer.

Do not take all your money on safari - keep it in the safe in the hotel. As you are going for four days you will need money for drinks at the lodges at lunch and dinner, a tip for the driver which is usually if he is good 1000 per day for two - this is what we give - some may give less or more and we take our passports which the lodges sometimes like to see but some don't - I usually lock them in a hand luggage bag or my husband takes in his bum bag which he always has with him. Hope this is helpful for you. Have a great trip and hope you see a lot of animals etc.

Kind regards Malaika

Ps I always like to look at the shops at the lodges and buy postcards and stamps and perhaps a T shirt and jewellery which you can't get on the coast so budget for that as well. That is my opinion - some may disagree to differ!!!!

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Prices at diani reef resort and spa?

I thought Diani Reef was a four * the last time I looked !!! perhaps it has gone up and surpassed the Southern Palms then.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Prices at diani reef resort and spa?

Nope you are right a 5 * must have got it mixed up with another one of the same name!!

Does the star rating rate the saem as in the UK? I personally don't hink so and a 5* over in Kenya I would say equates to a 3*/4* here would I be right on that one.?

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Prices at diani reef resort and spa?

Too many of nearly the same name Diani sea resort, Diani sea lodge, Diani reef resort and spa, gets a bit confusing at times but I am sure you will have a nice time whereever you go as they are all very similar and you will always get the welcome smile and the beautiful weather and the beaches.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Prices at diani reef resort and spa?

What hasn't been mentioned here is that all afari lodges take credit cards and bits you want to buy will get charged to your room then yu can settle before you leave.

I find this much easier than carrying lots of cash with me. I usually take small denominations for tips (100 and 50 shilling notes). Regarding the drivers tip - don't give this to him until you return back to your coastal hotel.

Min

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Prices at diani reef resort and spa?

Yep, we only tip at the end of the safari and only if thye have done a good job, I could not fault our driver and he was so funny a pleasure to be with and really helped us see what we wanted, went out of his way and was part of our group as we shared everything with him, and have asked for him again this year when we go back.

He was well pleased with his tip at the end of the safari you coul dhave thought it was Christmas and birthdays all rolled into one.

We do not carry large amounts of cash around as they all take credit cards and as Min said you can settle up at the end of your holiday.

wiltshire
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Prices at diani reef resort and spa?

Thanks guys, all usefull info, any ideas on what we'd be looking at paying in sterling for say a cola, beer, sandwich, fries? firstchoice wanted £11 per person per day to upgrade to full board thought this was quite expensive??

Kindest Regards

Dawna

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Prices at diani reef resort and spa?

I would say £11 was quite reasonable depending on how much you eat and drink, I think water equated to about 80p to £1 per bottle and I got through at least 6 bottles a day then a drink or 2 in the evening then lunch around about £5.00.

When I went I actually upgraded when I got there after seeing the prices that may be a possibility for you also but it was worth while for us, so you could have a glass or 2 of wine with the meal in the evening and also drinks through the day as we had swim up bar so not unheard of to go and have a cocktail about 12 mid day - luxury

Perhaps Yankari can put you right on some of the prices first hand.

Edited: 08 February 2010, 14:50
wiltshire
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Prices at diani reef resort and spa?

thanks for that nicki50 apparantly they dont do all inclusive at this resort (which is a shame!) only full board so I was thinking for £11 per person per day just for lunch was a bit expensive?

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Prices at diani reef resort and spa?

If that's the case then yes £11 for lunch is pricey so you have to pay for all your drinks whatever then?

Are you sure they don't do all Inclusive as this normally includeds lunch, afternoon tea, all non achololic and achololic |(local) drinks and when I googled it with Virgin they are offering an all inclusive deal.

Edited: 08 February 2010, 15:03