We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sharks???!!!

somerset, uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
sharks???!!!

Hi we are thinking of going to Diani beach hotel next year sometime, late June maybe, is this a good time? also my other half says that it's not really safe to swim in the sea as there are a lot of sharks around in the Indian ocean, is he right? AAArrrGGGHHH! Also what is the best hotel around there for a 40 year old young at heart couple, preferably adult only?

Many thanks

regards

Lilly

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
342 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sharks???!!!

There are sharks in every ocean in the world. If the people who swim off the shore of Miami beach could take a helicopter ride over the beach they would all get out of the water. Sometimes there are literally hundreds of sharks swimming within yards of the shore. The water is crystal clear off Diani and therefore not very dangerous to swim in regarding sharks. Much more likely that you might cut your foot on coral, step on an urchin, get stung by a jellyfish or a stingray.

And by the way, at 40 you are still young by all measures.

London, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sharks???!!!

The Indian Ocean is full of sharks, and they do swim near the coastline, but those ones are baby ones that do not feed on humans as the sea is so full of their regular diet. There is also the most lovely sting rays - but these are the creatures that people go far to see - they are generally harmless and beautiful to observe. If you are lucky you may also see the dolphins and even luckier they may even come and swim with you - I have only observed them from a boat, but a friend was lucky enough to meet them whilst out swimming.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,185 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sharks???!!!

Not sure about Diani but sharks are very rare at the beach on the North Coast (Shanzu, Bamburi, Nyali) because it is difficult for them to get inside the reef. The reef runs for miles along the coast

London
Level Contributor
537 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sharks???!!!

Similarly on the South, I have never ever hear doif sharks being seen within the reef

Birmingham.U.K.
Level Contributor
148 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sharks???!!!

Doffcocker

Fully agree.All the scuba diving that goes on up and down the reef and never heard of any reports of shark sightings.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sharks???!!!

no sharks - don't worry - scuba / deep sea diving in brilliant throughout the coast here ...

best hotel in diani - the sands at nomads (this is a boutique hotel so small and not so many children)

karibu/welcome to kenya!

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sharks???!!!

You are protected from the sharks by the reef. You may get some baby sharks inside.

For the hotel by far is Pinewood Village, which is a small, brillaintly run hotel with fabulous staff and in a supberb position. I've also been to Sands and would not recommend it to anyone. Apart from being very expensive it has none of the charm.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sharks???!!!

I,ve seen reef sharks and small hammerheads whilst diving out side the reef before and really small ones within the reef, its sort of like a nursery for them, if your lucky you can see them from the shore as well, I,ve also seen blue rays in the shallows.

I found the following post very intresting indeed, sharks are a passion of mine

www.bushdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?id=236

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sharks???!!!

Ive seen the whale shark a few times over the years but nothing to worry about as they are plancton eaters, outside of the reef of course.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sharks???!!!

The whale sharks are beautiful Simon, we often spot them whilst out deep sea fishing, along with humpback whales, for some reason they are increasing in the numbers off the Kenyan coastline, we have even seen one just outside the reef in Watamu it was even visible from the shore when it was breaching, all the local fishing skippers have never heard of a whale coming in this close to the shore

Forgot to mention there are quite a few breaks in the reef ie Mombasa, there has to be to allow the passage of the ships that come into port , also you will find breaks at Mtwapa, Kilifi, Watamu and Malindi ! these breaks are only narrow and are marked with Poles painted black and white so as the local big game boats can get out to the fishing grounds at low tide

Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach