We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling at Diani Beach

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Snorkeling at Diani Beach

Hello

We will take some stay in Kenya in December. Which hotel would you recommend for snorkeling ? ( close reef ) ? Or maybe I should go to Watamu ?

Regards

P.

10 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
219 reviews
1. Re: Snorkeling at Diani Beach

All beach hotels will have access to boats that can take you snorkelling on the reef.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,764 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Snorkeling at Diani Beach

Both locations excellent for snorkelling since it's the same Indian Ocean & both have Marine Parks.

However, reaching Diani involves Ferry crossing.

Level Contributor
306 posts
3. Re: Snorkeling at Diani Beach

There are several daily flights to Diani from Nairobi so you don't have to take a ferry. Most foreigners fly there now.

The half day snorkeling outing to the local reef (which is 200-600 meters out depending on where you are) only costs around 10 USD. They use small glass bottom boats. As mentioned you can book the excursion from any hotel or beach bar, it's the same boats for everyone, so it doesn't have to be a factor in your choice of hotel.

Edited: 17 October 2018, 09:20
Killenaule...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Snorkeling at Diani Beach

i f i am in mombasa i would have to use the ferry to go to ukunda,.,.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Snorkeling at Diani Beach

Yes you must use the ferry channel to cross to Diani.

Killenaule...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Snorkeling at Diani Beach

ferry is a disaster

Level Contributor
306 posts
7. Re: Snorkeling at Diani Beach

That's not a very helpful statement. The OP is coming from Poland and I believe a Polish charter company does flights to Mombasa. In that case he'd have to put up with the ferry but it isn't fair to paint it as dangerous.

On the other hand, he may land in Nairobi to conduct a safari and in that scenario a flight to Diani would be a good and affordable option. In fact it's faster to access Diani from Nairobi than it is to reach Watamu. I'm not playing down Watamu's appeal, just setting out the full options.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Snorkeling at Diani Beach

Thank you very much for engagement.

I have not suspected that there may some ferry problem arise :) Believe me, I am not afraid of ferries :) Traveling ( for me ) is not only occasion to spend time in comfort but also to gain some local atmosphere. I.e. I will forever remember local bus ride from Puerto Princessa to el Nido ( Palawan Philippines ). It still scares s...t out of me :D.

As KronickR suggested I will take flight to Nairobi. Then 3-4 days safari ( currently negotiating with local travel companies mentioned on Tripadvisor ) and be fetched do Diani Beach ( or Wanatmu ). Spend some leisure time. Fly home from Mombassa afterall.

I am still thinking which place is better for snorkeling: Watamu or Diani Beach.

Edited: 21 October 2018, 17:20
Killenaule...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Snorkeling at Diani Beach

depends on the time of the day you get the ferry. i usually pay a guy to be my guide when i go that way now,.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Snorkeling at Diani Beach

we stayed in malindi for 6 days following our 2 week safari. snorkeling was very good in the marine park-octopus, sting ray, etc.

Reply to: Snorkeling at Diani Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted