We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Boys you like...

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
17 posts
97 reviews
Beach Boys you like...

I've heard lots of negative about the beach boys but I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has had a good experience with any of their "services." I've heard about a a masseuse named Maria that I should be on the lookout for. Any others?

22 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
1. Re: Beach Boys you like...

Two points...

Maria sounds like a woman not a beach boy.

And which beach are you going to be staying at?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
17 posts
97 reviews
2. Re: Beach Boys you like...

Phillip1994, thanks for your super useful response. I was using "beachboy" as a general term. However, I did call Maria a masseuse but I will try to use more gender neutral language in the future. Even though you seemed to understand the question, let me try to be more clear so I can avoid any other captious or disparaging replies.

Are there any male or female solicitors on the beach that anyone has received a satisfactory service from that they would like to recommend? I will be staying at Pinewood Beach Resort in Galu but plan to visit some beach restaurants closer to Diani.

Level Contributor
1,520 posts
3. Re: Beach Boys you like...

No intention to be disparaging, sorry if it came across that way but it is a long (10 km) beach.

Pinewood staff will be in the best position to recommend a trained, well skilled masseuse and they probably have a few on call who'll come to the resort. Beach boys will take you to the masseuses they know without regard for whether they'll give a decent service. Trust me on that.

I've heard a few odd stories from woman who went with masseuses along the beach and got some very - well let's just say unexpected - massage techniques.

Edited: 08 January 2018, 17:42
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
349 reviews
4. Re: Beach Boys you like...

The beach boys are notorious for offering literally any service you'd like. Please the Austrian film: Paradise, Love directed by Ulrich Siedl about the reality of the Mombasa beach boys.

Level Contributor
1,520 posts
5. Re: Beach Boys you like...

<<any service you'd like>>

Or wouldn't like, as is more often the case. From tours to massages, involving beach boys in the process is likely to result in an inferior experience and a wounded wallet. Many of the thatched huts on Diani bearing "massage" signs are now catering to the growing contingent of sex tourists. One has a particularly amusing sign that reads "special attention paid to parts".

Definitely book massages using the hotel's recommendations. The masseuses have to pay the hotel a commission to work on the premises, which they pass on to the customer. But when the service is 3-4 times cheaper than what you'd pay in the First World, it's a small sacrifice.

Edited: 14 January 2018, 06:44
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
46 reviews
6. Re: Beach Boys you like...

Christopher (Aka Philip)

I prefer to address someone by their 1st Name, its polite.

Seems like you have real life, practical experience with this sort of thing ?!

Level Contributor
1,520 posts
7. Re: Beach Boys you like...

Nice try Stefan, both with the sex tourist innuendo and your continual and rather embarrassing pursuit of your conspiracy theory that I'm another person.

Every intelligent person who visits the coast is aware of the sexual motives of some of the tourists, and the Kenyans who are catering to them. As Africanman noted, it's been widely reported on and TV documentaries have even been made.

Edited: 14 January 2018, 11:21
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
46 reviews
8. Re: Beach Boys you like...

AHhh..

It is you then...

The imposter who was banned from TA using the alias Christopher.

The OP clearly asked Beach Boys, not Females !!

Edited: 14 January 2018, 11:42
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Beach Boys you like...

The beach boys really dont bother me , they know me and know that over the last 20 years I have bought almost everything from them , I quite often take them for a drink or 2 BUT if you are a first time visitor they can be very persistent, a firm no usually works , be polite and dont say that you will maybe look in a few days , they take that as a promise and dont dont tell them when you are leaving , they remember this and will put the pressure on ! at the end of the day they are only trying to make a living but they can sometimes can be a pain, as for massages I shall stick to the hotel ones , more expensive but generally far superior, enjoy Kenya

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,360 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Beach Boys you like...

Not a very long list! Says it all.

Reply to: Beach Boys you like...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted