We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abune Yemata

Abune Yemata

I recently visited the rock-hewn church of Abune Yemata, and really enjoyed it. I would recommend my guide Girmay Tewelde (GIRMAYTEWELDE7@GMAIL.COM, +251914108651) if anyone is looking for a guide to take them to this church.

3 replies to this topic
Put in Bay, Ohio
2 posts
1. Re: Abune Yemata

I want to recommend also a guide I worked with in and around Hawzien. He was very useful in visiting the rock churches of the Tigray region since he is very knowledgeable and speaks good English. Apart from Tigray he can also help you with other destinations, tours, hotels and the like since he is a licensed guide, although I did not do it. We visited the Gheralta, Wukro and Tembien Clusters together.

His name is berhanu welday and you can reach him at 091,486,1090 (mobile) or birwel21@gmail.com

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Abune Yemata

We also went with this later guide ( birwel21@gmail.com ) this summer, he was recommended by our hostel. He was very nice and straightforward and fixed a good price for us. We were 3 friends in the tour and there was always him and a guide with us and also the driver waiting in the car. I would go with him again.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
3. Re: Abune Yemata

Thanks for the info! How difficult is the hike up to the church? it looks amazing, but I'm not the best with balance and climbing rocks. :)

Reply to: Abune Yemata
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wukro
Recent Conversations