We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels Charleroi to Geel Public Transport

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
246 reviews
Brussels Charleroi to Geel Public Transport

Landing wed 5th oct 1205 could anyone help me with the public transport route to Geel, buses and trains and how to buy the tickets. I can book on line if possible.

I have been told Airport to Brussels midi train station train to Berchem and change for Geel. Is this correct

4 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,273 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Brussels Charleroi to Geel Public Transport

Not exactly - you would change in Antwerp if departing by train from CHARLEROI - not if going first (by Brussels City Shuttle) to Bruxelles-Midi, when you would change at HERENTALS instead.

From CRL, you can either:

- take the local bus, TEC bus A, into Charleroi (20 mins, runs every 30 mins) and depart from Charleroi-Sud station, changing at Antwerpen-Berchem for Geel (2h30, departures at 24 mins past each hour) or

- take the Brussels City Shuttle into Brussels (55 mins, departs every 30 mins) and then train to Geel, changing at Herentals (1h21, departures from Bruxelles-Midi at 33 mins past each hour).

The first costs €6 for TEC bus A from CRL to Charleroi-Sud station (departing at 23 and 53 mins past each hour) and then (if you aren't under 26 or over 65) €19 for the train, total €25 - or €21.60 buying a combi ticket covering both; while the second costs €14 (maximum online price from https://www.brussels-city-shuttle.com/en#/ - €17 on the spot) plus €10.90 = €24.90.

If not entitled to concessionary €6 train fares (if you were, it would be cheaper to buy separate tickets for the bus and train), this means the combi ticket covering the local bus + train is the cheapest option. You can buy it either from the ticket machines next to the TEC bus stop outside Exit 2 at CRL or online from www.belgianrail.be, when it is necessary to specify "Charleroi South Airport" as departure point (and of course Geel as destination). In either case, you are not restricted to specific departure times, only to the date of travel (and route, of course - via Herentals).

For TEC bus A timetable, see https:/… - note that the airport is referred to there as Gosselies Aérogare. You can't buy bus-only tickets online, only the combi fare, from Belgian Railways.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
246 reviews
2. Re: Brussels Charleroi to Geel Public Transport

Thank you that is very comprehensive and helpful I will follow the links and decide which way

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
246 reviews
3. Re: Brussels Charleroi to Geel Public Transport

Thank you very helpful I have planned the route done a few screenshots and bought the ticket. Couldn't have done it without you. Will let you know if I make it

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
246 reviews
4. Re: Brussels Charleroi to Geel Public Transport

I made it despite disruption in Brussels

Reply to: Brussels Charleroi to Geel Public Transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Geel
Recent Conversations
More Geel Topics