We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety, Travel Advisories, etc

Safety, Travel Advisories, etc
Save

A rescheduled dive trip has me flying from Jakarta to spend a night at either end of a dive trip in Sorong. I'm American and the US currently has a Level 4 "Do Not Travel" advisory against going to Indonesia, partially due to civil unrest in Pupua. Canada warns against West Papua where Sorong is located. I don't expect strangers on the Internet to tell me if a place is "safe", but I'm trying to get a better idea of how the unrest there may be affecting security and tourism. Also looking for links to accurate covid numbers. The person selling the dive trip (local to me in the US), says to ignore the travel advisory as "there is always a travel advisory for Indonesia" and the state department does not have correct covid numbers. I'd just like to hear some folks reflect on the security and covid situation who are not financially tied to my attending. Thank you

1 reply
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Safety, Travel Advisories, etc
Save

It’s very safe to travel to sorong . As long as you stay in the city and just go to the dive sites. The problem comes if you want to venture north from sorong into the mountains. White people and westerns are seen as anti-government supporters. If you see any protests, stay clear away because you will be the first to go to jail.

You could if you like register your trip and get police clearance (SKCK) from head police office in Jakarta near Blok M. If you have a agent they can also help obtain this.

Then you can fly to Sorong, You can attend to local police office there and let them know also. once you are in Sorong (main areas) you are fine.

Reply to: Safety, Travel Advisories, etc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sorong
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.