We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Provisions in Sorong...

Raja Ampat...
Level Contributor
168 posts
100 reviews
83 helpful votes
Getting Provisions in Sorong...
Save

We also have one day in Sorong, is there a grocery store to stock up on alcoholic beverages (wine, beer, spirits)? I know it'll be more expensive to buy imported goods in such a remote location, but am I just better off getting these in Jakarta? Also, are there any dive shops in Sorong? Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
Jed
Dumaguete City...
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Getting Provisions in Sorong...
Save

You can get beer near the mosque by You and Me hotel, about 4 blocks further down the main road, on a side street. not sure about spirits. groceries are easy. didnt see any dive shops, you'd think there'd be one but sorong is, as Trump says, a "s-hole " place. even in wageio things are hard to get.

Raja Ampat...
Level Contributor
168 posts
100 reviews
83 helpful votes
2. Re: Getting Provisions in Sorong...
Save

Is Sorong really that bad? That's a shame. I figured the place is slowly developing and there'd be areas to wander around. I was looking at all the Google photos of various malls and stores, so looks like Jakarta for provisions after all. Thanks for your response.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: Getting Provisions in Sorong...
Save

Sorong is really not that bad! I’ve spent a fair amount of time there. It’s a cultural experience, the people are curious and so friendly. If you have time, I’d recommend visiting Pulau Doom, the market in Rufei or the Berlin Wall for a fresh coconut and street food.

There are lots of places to buy provisions. Depending on whereabouts you’re staying, I’d recommend either SAGA or the Mega Mall (close to Favehotel). Both sell Bintang. Getting around is easy - use the yellow public buses which will take you anywhere for 5k IDR per person.

If you need some more advice, please feel free to check out my travel blog, I’ve written a guide to Sorong here:

https://remoteandafloat.com/sorong-travel-guide/

Hope this helps :)

Claire

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: Getting Provisions in Sorong...
Save

We just went to the above-mentioned supermarkets, and spent 2 hours going around Sorong asking where we can buy Bintan... no luck at all! Can buy from the hotels (about IDR85 per can so pretty expensive). Spirits we also could buy by the bottle at Swiss Belhotel ranging from IDR29k for Coruba Gold to Jack Daniels for IDR40k. Suggest you bring from outside Sorong.

Reply to: Getting Provisions in Sorong...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sorong
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.