We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raja Ampat - snorkeling

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
721 posts
28 reviews
44 helpful votes
Raja Ampat - snorkeling
Save

Hi.

I know that Raja Ampat is widely regarded as the divers mecca.

However, we are only snorkelers and was wondering if it is still worthwhile visiting Raja Ampat ?

Thinking of a liveaboard, or should we stay on land instead and take a boat out to snorkel daily ?

Any thoughts and/or recommendations ?

FWIW, we have snorkeled in Maldives and French Polynesia - wonderful but crazy expensive.

Has anyone snorkeled in those places and also Raja Ampat ?

If so, wonder what different marine life can we see at Raja Ampat ?

Thank you.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Raja Ampat - snorkeling
Save

Hi Lifesucketh,

My partner and I are also passionate snorkelers’ :D (and divers) for the past year we’ve been on a bit of a snorkel / dive mission around SE Asia, but we’ve also snorkelled in the Maldives (3 times, various atolls).

We are obsessed with Raja Ampat! Currently writing to you from our bungalow on Pulau Gam, its our forth time here which is testament to how much we rate it :) Being the most biodiverse place on the planet, it is rich in marine life! Although the diving is insane, the snorkelling here is almost equally as good! Many of the reefs are shallow, and you can see much the same as you would on a dive. For example; mantas, sharks, turtles, dugongs, barracuda, bumphead parrotfish, huge schools of fish, rays, snakes, cuttlefish, octopus plus lots of great macro.

A liveaboard is a great option if you want to reach far out spots such as Misool, or Wayag however there is excellent snorkelling to be had in the main Dampier Strait which is where you will find the majority of homestay’s. The landscape above water is equally as beautiful but it would be cool to mix up your trip and do both a liveaboard and some time on land - many people do Raja Ampat this way.

We write a snorkel / dive related travel blog with a lot of information about Raja Ampat. I’ll leave a link below to our travel guide, you will also find detailed info about the best snorkel spots, accomodation recommendations etc.

Hope this helps with your plans, pls feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions at all.

https://remoteandafloat.com/raja-ampat-travel-guide/

Jamaica
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Raja Ampat - snorkeling
Save

Do you have any recommendations for a liveaboard or resorts that suits both divers and snorkelers? I dive and my friend snorkels, would be great to find something that we can both enjoy. Thanks!

Bainbridge Island...
2 posts
1 review
3. Re: Raja Ampat - snorkeling
Save

This was great

Our group of 4 a grown family -

are going for a week or more and early January but wnat to know if you recommend a great Homestay around Raja where we can snorkel with a guide for waters and land?

Also what’s the best way to get to Raja Sarong?

Thank you.

Kayla

4. Re: Raja Ampat - snorkeling

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Sorong
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.