We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raja Ampat in July?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
Raja Ampat in July?
Save

Hi there, I am thinking of travelling to Raja Ampat for the beaches and scuba diving for my honeymoon but we can only go in July. We would be travelling from the UK. I've read that July is not the best month for RA but I've read of others who have gone in July and it has been good. Basically I'm looking advice to decide whether or not to go there? Or if it is cold at that time of year, too much so for beaches? I don't mind rain at set times but I obviously wouldn't want to experience a wash out. Or if it is a bad idea would anyone of suggestions for similar places that are good in July? Our priorities are to see tropical beaches surrounded by jungle type landscapes, snorkelling or/and diving, we don't care for nightlife at all.

Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
East Fremantle...
Level Contributor
322 posts
41 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Raja Ampat in July?
Save

I’m not sure about July because I haven’t been there in July but I doubt it will be cold. If you have a look at it on a map and locate the equator you’ll see it’s not likely to be cold.

Edited: 4 years ago
Cikarang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Raja Ampat in July?
Save

googling says like

https://www.stayrajaampat.com/ultimate-raja-ampat-guide/information/raja-ampat-weather/

Kingscliff...
Level Contributor
128 posts
77 reviews
45 helpful votes
3. Re: Raja Ampat in July?
Save

Hi Jenna, we are also going to Raja Ampat in July and all indications show that it will be warm with a chance of rain.

We have fever been through Papau before but travel every year at that time through SE Asia and generally have been well rewarded with great weather and smaller crowds if you can call them that.

Still doing our homework but will be going, probably on a live aboard boat from Sorong.

Hope the weather is fine for all.

Cheers Brent

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Raja Ampat in July?
Save

Hi Jenna,

We've just gotten back from Raja Ampat and were told by our resort that past April, the mantas are gone. However, the visibility is better after April because the microorganisms that cloud the water (and are what mantas eat) disperse somewhat. There might be thunderstorms when you go too - however, if they are anything like in the rest of South East Asia, you can expect just a big, humid build up during the day, then a big downpour which cools everything down in the late afternoon/early evening. Should still be a great trip!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Raja Ampat in July?
Save

Thanks! Did you love it? I am trying to decide between there and Thailand+Angkor Wat!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
25 helpful votes
6. Re: Raja Ampat in July?
Save

We scuba dive and Raja Ampat was AWESOME. You can read about our experiences here:

https://thelawofadventures.com/

Angkor is worthwhile also but for different reasons. July might be rainy but at least it will be cooler. I went there years ago in Feb and it was cooking hot which means you have to do everything early in the morning or late evening.

Edited: 4 years ago
Kingscliff...
Level Contributor
128 posts
77 reviews
45 helpful votes
7. Re: Raja Ampat in July?
Save

We’ve been to Angkor Wat in July and it’s hot!!! Like high 30’s to 40 Celsius and wet as well.

No guarantee either way that Thailand, Cambodia or Raja Ampat will be better for weather but we are hopeful that July (especially the middle section😊) is fine.

What ever you decide will be wonderful.

8. Re: Raja Ampat in July?

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

9. Re: Raja Ampat in July?

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Level Contributor
1 post
10. Re: Raja Ampat in July?
Save

Hi Bob,

I am also thinking of going there in july and one of your links says:"The middle of the wet season (Mid-June to mid-September) sees days with strong winds which make sea conditions less pleasant. Again – that’s not every day! Underwater visibility isn’t affected, but choppy seas at this time of year can occasionally limit small boat travel between the islands. Locations on the northern shores of islands are the best protected at this time of year."

So you offer a liveaboard and I guess that means high waves and strong currents, or do you have a different experience?

Reply to: Raja Ampat in July?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sorong
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.