We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Treasure Cay or Marsh Harbour on Great Abaco

St Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
91 posts
134 reviews
Treasure Cay or Marsh Harbour on Great Abaco

We are thinking of booking a trip to Great Abaco and staying either in Treasure Cay or Marsh Harbour. Our ideal vacation is relaxing on the beach and snorkeling. Are the beaches better on Treasure Cay? I read there were no beaches in Marsh Harbour. Also, can you drive from Treasure Cay around Great Abaco if we rent a car. It seems to connect to the main part of the island only at Casuarina Beach. How are the restaurants in the Treasure Cay area for quality of food and affordability? They seem to have quite limited choices. Any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated!

Chillicothe...
Level Contributor
23 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Treasure Cay or Marsh Harbour on Great Abaco

I can really only speak on behalf of Treasure Cay. We vacationed there last March and are returning again this year at the end of March. We had an amazing time in Treasure Cay. There isn't much to do, which is exactly what we were looking for. We just wanted a beach and to relax. The beach is beyond amazing. Crystal clear blue water and white sandy beaches. The food options are limited. There are only about 5 places to eat but everywhere we ate was good. We ate at every restaurant I believe and didn't have any bad food, but not many meals were anything to rave about either. Check out the restaurant reviews for Treasure Cay. Treasure Sands club is a great place with a very cool atmosphere but pricey. Actually, most places in Treasure Cay are pretty expensive but that was expected when we went. We did go to the market place in Treasure Cay and purchased groceries and cooked a few meals in but not to many. We took the ferry on Sunday over to Nippers for the hog roast and that was a great time. We also went out fishing with Lincoln Jones which was one of the best experiences we have ever had (HIGHLY recommended). Marsh Harbour from what I have read has a full size grocery store and more food options, but I'm pretty sure Treasure Cay is where you want to be if you are looking for a beach! We did not rent a car, but its an easy drive from Marsh Harbour to Treasure Cay (about 35 min or so if I remember correctly?) We rented a golf cart in Treasure Cay for the week, which was lots of fun to drive around the town and explore. Hopefully this is helpful for you! I have a few pictures of Treasure Cay on my profile if you want to check them out.

St Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
91 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: Treasure Cay or Marsh Harbour on Great Abaco

Thanks so much. I very much appreciate your information. Did you take the ferries to Green Turtle Cay or Guana Cay, Man-O-War and Hope Town?

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Treasure Cay or Marsh Harbour on Great Abaco

Treasure Cay has a long beautiful beach that's on the Sea of Abaco rather than the Atlantic so it's calm much of the time. Treasure Cay is attached to Great Abaco. There are rental cars available, so you can spend a day exploring. Go south through Marsh Harbour and continue on to Little Harbour and visit Pete's Pub. It's off-the-grid (all solar) with a great selection of freshly caught fish, a sculpture gallery and gift shop, and great views of the ocean as well as the harbour. The little shopping plaza in Treasure Cay has a decent grocery store, and a well-stocked and reasonably priced liquor store. There are only a few restaurants. You can take a short taxi ride to the Green Turtle Ferry dock and spend a day there exploring the small settlement, and a number of beaches on the Atlantic. Marsh Harbour has the Abaco Beach Resort, which does have a nice beach, but it's nothing like the one at Treasure Cay. It has a very nice pool and tiki bar area overlooking the water, and it's walking distance to quite a few other restaurants, and the ferry docks to Elbow Cay, Man O War Cay and Guana Cay. There are rental cars withing walking distance as well, so you could drive up and spend the day at Treasure Cay's beach.

Treasure Cay is very much a relaxing on the beach kind of place if that's what you're looking for. There's a limited amount of snorkeling at the south east point, and some fun walking on the sand bars in that area that appear at low tide.

4. Re: Treasure Cay or Marsh Harbour on Great Abaco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2017, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Treasure Cay