We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Krakow and Auschwitz from Ruzomberok

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
20 helpful votes
Getting to Krakow and Auschwitz from Ruzomberok
Save

If you find yourself in Ruzomberok, and want to get to Krakow and Auschwitz, you have 2 choices. 1. You have to backtrack all the way to Bratislava in far western Slovakia, and go by train from there.

2. Try the bus adventure. You can get to Poprad [mid-north Slovakia] by bus or train, then take a bus north to the Polish ski resort Zakopane, then a bus from Zakopane to Krakow.

By taking the bus, you have gone directly north instead of doing an end around trip, and saved yourself hundreds of kilometers, and lots of hours.

The train systems of Eastern European countries concentrate on tracks between large cities within the country. There were lots of restrictions at borders, so getting directly from the middle of Slovakia to the middle of Poland was not possible in the past. JC

6 replies to this topic
Zilina, Slovakia
Level Contributor
237 posts
128 reviews
123 helpful votes
1. Re: Getting to Krakow and Auschwitz from Ruzomberok
Save

Not easy and short trip, but possible - take train from Ruzomberok to Zilina, then take train to Zywiec /PL/ or Zwardon /PL/ and there take local bus or train to Oswiencim /Auschwitz/ or Krakow

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Getting to Krakow and Auschwitz from Ruzomberok
Save

This morning I talked with Milan at the Ruzomberok Tourist Information Center. I was told that buses no longer go from Poprad to Zakopane, on the Polish side of the border. You have to take a bus from Poprad to the border, walk across 1-3 km, then board another bus for Zakopane. From Zakopane there are buses to Krakow. That's too bad, as 3 years ago, I took a bus all the way from Poprad to Zakopane, then another bus to Krakow. JC

Zilina, Slovakia
Level Contributor
237 posts
128 reviews
123 helpful votes
3. Re: Getting to Krakow and Auschwitz from Ruzomberok
Save

So the train should be not ideal, but best public transport

from RK to KRK - expres EN 444 to Bohumin, change train Ex 403 to Krakow

trip time 7,45 hours

Homer, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
8 reviews
71 helpful votes
4. Re: Getting to Krakow and Auschwitz from Ruzomberok
Save

Just posted my experience with the cross border bus on the L. Mikulas thread. The comment earlier in this thread saying there is no connection bus is from 2012. This is 2013 an there is a bus, again.

So in the future, consider how old the advice is, and check current schedules!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
20 helpful votes
5. Re: Getting to Krakow and Auschwitz from Ruzomberok
Save

Dear Since 71, what busline is that? We need more details.

The bus I was referring to is a bus that used to go from Poprad to Zakopane. In addition there is a Hungarian busline that goes several times per week from Budapest to Krakow and return. It used to stop in Banska Bystrica, but last time I checked, they stopped taking passengers at Banska Bystrica. That meant there was no way to get to Buda or Krakow by public transport. JC

Edited: 8 years ago
Homer, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
8 reviews
71 helpful votes
6. Re: Getting to Krakow and Auschwitz from Ruzomberok
Save

I tossed out all my old tickets and kept incomplete notes, but it was a normal Slovak Bus that went from Zakopane across the border and then went up to service various hikers and residents in the High Tatra communities, picking them up and taking them down to Poprad or their intermediate starting point. The schedule shows the exact route.

http://cp.atlas.sk/bus/spojenie/

takes you to Slovak Bus Lines.

Enter Zakopane; Poľsko for the start point (odkial), or just type in Zakopane until the right choice pops up below the space. Then add Poprad for the destination (Kam), and chose any hour of interest.

Rather than fool around guessing at precise hours, I download the day;s schedule to see what my choices are:

When the result comes up, look to the right for the yellow PDF symbol and green bus number, and click on the PDF to download the full bus schedule.

The first click takes you to another page where you click on the red bus number to get the download.

It MIGHT be reachable directly at

http://portal.cp.sk/Data/L706802_121227_38461.pdf

That is where it popped up when I ran through just now.

Edited: 8 years ago
Reply to: Getting to Krakow and Auschwitz from Ruzomberok
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ruzomberok
More Ruzomberok Topics
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.