We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Fun Time Service from Cap Juluca

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Fun Time Service from Cap Juluca

My wife and I spent a week at CJ in February and although most of our stay was enjoyable, we had a bad experience with the Fun Time sea shuttle. No problems getting from the airport to CJ, very enjoyable. But the return trip was a disaster - our boat was 90 minutes late due to delays at immigration and we missed our flight back to the U.S. Not exactly how you want to end a vacation.

Just a word of advice to allow plenty of time to get to the airport because the immigration process is ridiculous. We left CJ at noon for a 3:30 pm flight and still didn't make it.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Fun Time Service from Cap Juluca

Where was the immigration line at the ferry in SXM or in the airport?

I have had similar scenarios in other airports and have asked for help, alerted staff I had a flight and was sent thru. This has happened too many times for my comfort.

One time Link Ferry was very late leaving AXA and I arrived into SXM airport at 10:00 for an 11;15 flight. Talk about sweating bullets.

The line upstairs for immigration was massive as KLM and AA were all leaving at 3 ish. The lines were long. I asked the staff to allow me to go ahead as my DAE flight to Curacao was boarding. She did not seem interested so I went to the front of the line about 100 people from my spot and politely asked if I could go first as my plane was boarding. It was 11 AM and my flight was leaving at 11:15. I made it barely.

If you have a mid day flight keep this in mind. Now I leave on whatever ferry is leaving at 8 AM to catch my 11:15 flight.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Fun Time Service from Cap Juluca

We had a similar experience a couple of years ago with another private ferry service. That ferry was 45 minutes late. The plane was almost completely loaded by the time we got through immigration. And you know how fast they leave after boarding. We had allowed three hours from Blowing Point to the airport. Now we spend the last two days on St Martin to avoid the rush the last day. After seven or eight days in complete decompression , it really stinks to spend your last few hours in a worse level of stress than before you left for your vacation.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Fun Time Service from Cap Juluca

Are you saying that it was Funtime that was responsible for the 90 minute Immigration delay? Or are ALL of the shuttles likely to be experiencing that same horror?

If I am reading your post correctly (and maybe I am not), I thought you meant that the delay was at Simpson Bay and not at the point of departure in Blowing Point. If that is correct, poor Funtime has to have been as frustrated as you and the rest of the passengers were.

Also: I am not the best at math but if you left at 12 Noon from Blowing Point, arrived at Simpson Bay at almost 12:30, and had to wait 90 minutes, (wow, pretty unbelievable!), that would have brought you to 2 pm. Figuring another 10 minutes to the airport, you still had almost an hour to catch your flight.

Another thought: Did you possibly mean the lines at the actual St. Maarten airport for Immigration and not the Simpson Bay stop? If so, how could ANY shuttle possibly predict that?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Fun Time Service from Cap Juluca

The delay was due to issues at Simpson Bay Immigration, not at the airport. I realize the immigration dept. is mainly to blame, but Funtime did not communicate well with us about the delay and kept telling us our boat would be leaving shortly.

We left CJ at noon to catch a 12:30 pm boat. However, our boat did not leave Blowing Point until 2pm. Apparently, Simpson Bay Immigration was backed up and that caused delays in our departure time. While we were waiting for our boat to depart at Blowing Point, we saw other ferry services leaving, which seemed odd. We did not arrive at SXM airport until after 3pm, and our flight was already closed at that time.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Fun Time Service from Cap Juluca

I just learned something I never knew before -- that the public ferries do not stop at Simpson Bay. I am surprised that Funtime (or any other shuttle) would not have quickly suggested that you get onto a regular ferry as time was a factor in catching your plane.

In fact, I am sorry that you, yourselves never thought to immediately "jump boat" and take the public ferry instead. I'm sure you were probably too rattled to even think about it.

I wonder how others on that shuttle made out.

Too bad.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Fun Time Service from Cap Juluca

Pepper,

I've been in more than one of those boats before when they keep telling you that they'll leave any minute and it's an hour and half before they actually leave. Once it was two and a half hours at the dock waiting to come to Anguilla. There are plenty of other ways to get to and from the airport so I book differently now.

Edited: 09 June 2010, 21:20
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Fun Time Service from Cap Juluca

Yes, it seems that the public ferry may be a better (and cheaper) option. Too bad I didn't realize that before hand, but you live and learn. Only benefit of Fun Time is they handle your bags for you, but that's not an issue for me.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Fun Time Service from Cap Juluca

ALR,. how do you book? On the return from now on I am taking whatever boat leaves soonest at 8..I will never make a res on the day back to SXM only over...

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Fun Time Service from Cap Juluca

Evidently there can be quite a snag--at Simpson Bay--Islander

posted info from the Anguillian Express--New Procedure From Simpson

bridge on May 27th. Looks like this is a good example.

I only had a problem once upon arrival waiting for our private

charter to arrive, as there was a lot of boat traffic at Simpson bay,

due to a bucket race on St. Barts, and Moonsplash on Anguilla.

I think we waited 40 minutes or more.

The public ferry has always been great---and the charters were

fanastic until they had the unpredictable procedure at Simpson Bridge.

Lets hope this can be made easier in the future. More and more

boats travel from SXM to Blowing Point---its a busy place.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of Fun Time Service from Cap Juluca

This thread is worth its weight in gold for me.

From now on I plan to take the first boat that leaves Blowing Point.

I am always being "romanced" anyway by those who claim their boat is ready to go.

Arriving is one thing, but I can take no chances on missing my flight on the way home. Not as long as the Simpson Bay stop is still on the list. Nosiree.

Get answers to your questions about West End Village