We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less touristy area than Tulum in Costa Maya?

Sonoma County...
Level Contributor
589 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
Less touristy area than Tulum in Costa Maya?

Hello,

I'm a pretty steady traveler, not quite a backpacker, but someone who loves culture and not commercialization and who doesn't happen to be wealthy (a teacher). I usually stay in lower-end/mid-range hotels when I travel and eat locally, avoiding other tourists and tourist traps as much as possible. I'm just back from a mind-altering trip traveling 2200 km through Mexico where I traveled through five states (Yucatan, Campeche, Tabasco, Chiapas, and Quintana Roo).

I fell so in love with Mexico that I literally cannot wait to return, and since I live in California, that will be easy. I hope to return next summer. At the end of our trip, we found ourselves in Tulum, and I could barely stand the four days there -- although the beach itself was gorgeous, it was so filled with other tourists and so marked up and lacking any real culture, even the town seemed to have been impacted badly by this.

So my husband and I plan hopefully to return to Mexico for a month or so next summer, and we would like to visit the beach again. We wondered if the Costa Maya had places that were more... Mexican? Where we could stay. Places that still had culture to them and felt more "alive" instead of just 95% people-trying-to-sell-us-hippie-stuff-for-high-prices. I don't mean to sound harsh toward Tulum, which was a beautiful beach with a fantastic hotel, and the town, once off the main drag was cute but felt too separated from where we were and was a 20 minute drive. We looked at a map of Mexico and saw that North of Mahahuel, there were some towns, but can find little info on them. When in Tulum, I would drive into town JUST to feel back in Mexico again, I got so sick of other tourists and the whole tourist-trap vibe of the beach that I actually felt kind of sick sometimes. I went to Palenque and stayed in the hotel area and never had that feeling, and I stayed in Merida centro and also really enjoyed it. But the Tulum beach was some of the worst. It just ruined such a beautiful place. Not only was it filled with tourists, but it was filled with some of the worst sorts of tourists: the ones who are trying to pretend to be travelers. I suppose the other worst kind, the ones who are absolutely just tourists, are up in Cancun!

I've heard of Xcalak but know little about it. Is it still a Mexican-feeling town? Are there other places to stay in the Costa Maya that are less touristy?

Thanks for any advice or thoughts!

Austin
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Less touristy area than Tulum in Costa Maya?

As you have read, there are some small hotels to the south that merit attention. Also, you can find beach homes for rent if you puruse vbro.com

Stony Brook, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Less touristy area than Tulum in Costa Maya?

I found Puerto Morelos, between Playa del Carmen and Cancun, to be a welcome relief (if it counts as part of Costa Maya).

Edited: 30 November 2014, 18:25
Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Less touristy area than Tulum in Costa Maya?

Playa Sonrisa, north of Xcalak is a rather bohemian spot worth checking out. Enjoy!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Less touristy area than Tulum in Costa Maya?

Also liked Puerto Morelos - remarkable that a beach town so close to Cancun can sill retain so much of it's Mexican flavor

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,663 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Less touristy area than Tulum in Costa Maya?

¨I found Puerto Morelos, between Playa del Carmen and Cancun, to be a welcome relief (if it counts as part of Costa Maya).¨

None of that area is Costa Maya. Costa Maya is an area to the South of Tulum, almost to Chetumal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Maya

Stony Brook, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Less touristy area than Tulum in Costa Maya?

Desculpame!

17. Re: Less touristy area than Tulum in Costa Maya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Costa Maya
Recent Conversations